Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please!!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Chell, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Chell

Chell PetForums Newbie

I have just added a new addition to my pet family, a Netherland Dwarf Lop the pet shop said the name is not true to it's name when I asked how big Bailey would get.... So I am wondering if anyone here can help me to roughly how big he might get???

Also with him coming from a pet shop will I need to cover his hutch at night untill he has gotten used to the outdoors??? It's been a while since I kept a bunny well I was a kid so pretty much forever ago!!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

There is no such thing as "Netherland Dwarf Lop". There's a Dwarf Lop, a Netherland Dwarf or a cross between a Netherland Dwarf and Dwarf Lop.

Dwarf Lop:
    http://www.freewebs.com/cadantestud/girls rabbit etc 023.jpg

Netherland Dwarf:
    http://www.gopetsamerica.com/small-animals/rabbit/neth-dwarf.jpg

I suspect you have a dwarf lop as dwarf lops are big, not small like their name suggests. They are medium sized rabbits, around 2-3kgs.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Rabbit_-_Dwarf_Lop.htm

I would always suggest covering the hutch at night. If he is to be an outdoor rabbit, I suggest getting him a friend.

3. Chell

Chell PetForums Newbie

Thanx, The sign on his pen in the shop said Netherland dwarf but he has lop ears?? Bailey looks nothing like a Netherland dwarf, But I just feel in love with him as soon as I saw him so he'll be loved what ever he is :)..

4. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

pet shops never get info right. If they got his breed wrong, I would worry about them getting his sex wrong too. I'd take him to the vet to double check.

Once he's been neutered, you could get a rabbit to bond with him from a rescue or a reputable breeder. Pet shops should be avoided.

5. Chell

Chell PetForums Newbie

Oh def a boy have put a couple of pic's in the bunny pic's not the best as I wanted to get him settled + he's my little avatar...

6. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

he definitely looks like a dwarf lop. are you considering getting another rabbit?

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Are you 100% sure he's a boy? Have you looked for his little willy? Its very very easy to mix up a doe and buck when they're young even breeders can get it wrong sometimes. Their genitals are very similar in male and female, its so easy to get it wrong. I would definately get him checked at the vet.

Since he'll be outside as well I would consider getting him a friend once he's been checked by the vet and neutered. An only rabbit is a lonely rabbit and will become destructive and agressive through frustration.

8. Chell

Chell PetForums Newbie

Would think about getting another, but hubby said I could only have one... he's was a bit funny about me havin a bunny in the first place.... He's not really a bunny kinda man :lol:

9. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

IMO rabbits shouldn't be kept on their own if they are outdoors. if you are only allowed one rabbit, bring him inside the house where he'll get more attention off you.

10. Chell

Chell PetForums Newbie

Def saw a little tinkle but will have him checked over when he has a check up...

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

I completely agree, i dont think its fair to keep a bun on its own outdoors :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice