Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, May 31, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Hi just a few wee questions.....
    Amber had quite a restless night last night and seems to be doing a lot of panting...is this normal?
    She has been pooing a lot and it's been very runny!!! Not sure if this is because she is cleaning the pups and ate a few placentas or the fact she is eating puppy food again and so much more than she has in tha last 6 weeks.
    Pups are feeding a lot...is this ok?
    Weighed them yesterday and all put on some weight but did it today and few haven't put on much and 1 has lost a wee bit....again is this normal?

If I think of anything else I will let you know................Oh can i get some sleep PLEASE!!!!!:)

2. dimkaz

dimkaz PetForums VIP

as for runny poo. it is normal after eating placentas...it will last a while. panting might be due to the effort she's taking on feeding them and heat...probably more water and a richer diet will help in a couple of day you can see the results....if panting and shivering then run to the vet asap as it can be reletd to calcium deficiency and it's life threatning.
    pups should be feeding on average every two hours for as much as they need...lost of wait is never a good sign...but try and weight them at the same time (pre-feed or post feed) and keep record...if wait loss is sustained for more than 1 and 1/2 - 2 days (max) run to the vet, pups de-hydrate very quickly...
    good luck and keep us posted
    regards
    D

3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Teigan panted for 3 days after giving birth, I checked her nipple to see if they were red and hot, but they were ok. Vet checked her over and said it was her body getting back to normal and she will be fine and to give her plenty to drink. The runs is from her eating the placentas. As long as puppies are putting on wieght then they are fine, they will loose a bit, but keep a check........if you are not sure then phone you vet for his advice ok. Yes you can order Sleep on Ebay for £1 lololol...........;)

4. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Been on th ebay and ordered a bucket load of sleep!!!
    Hope the delivery is fast.....lol:thumbup:

5. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Panting is normal. They can pant up to a week after delivery. Runny Shits is normal too for a few days after. You can expect a little drop in weight with the puppies after the first day but only one day then they should increase at a nice steady rate and be roughly double their birth weight at 8-9 days. Put the bigger stronger pups on the back nipples for about 30s then swap them for the smaller pups and put the bigger pups on a teat nearer the chest. This will help to even out the sizes of the puppies. But you'll notice the little ones catching up during weaning.
    Any shivering from mum or her looking "out of it" or panicky then she needs an urgent trip to the vet. Eclampsia can only be stopped with IV calcium, never calcium tablets.

I'm looking forward to watching these puppies growing up :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice