Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by corrine3, May 14, 2010.

1. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Not sure if a lot of people will 'get' this thread but if you do then hopefully you can give me some advice. As you know we have Glen who is a 9 1/2 month cocker spaniel, he was bought as a pet but to work as well. Well after seeing a couple of trainers, we've been told he wont be ready to work until he is 2years old.

So OH has already joined a shoot, starts in October and it cost quite a bit of money. Now he needs a dog to be in the shoot so we agreed we would get another dog, already trained.

A bitch has came up called Milly who is 4years old, she is being sold cos she's not good enough for field trials but good enough for what we would need her for. I'm just feeling a bit confused as to whether this is the right thing or not, i suppose i'm looking for reassurance more than advice. I've come to the conclusion that OH will get another dog whether its this one or not so giving in to the inevitable really.

Do you think we are crazy?? Can this actually work? Having a 9month dog and 4year old bitch??? Also she is used to a kennel so will be a slow introduction to the house and will stay out in kennel to begin with.

Its all a bit scary really but i know no matter if its her or the next one, OH wants a dog this summer and he thinks the sooner the better to bond and train before shooting season.

#1 corrine3, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. rona

rona Guest

Has he worked dogs before?

3. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

no, thats why he wants a trained one and gettin lots of help and advice from experienced trainers.

4. bevstretton

bevstretton PetForums Member

I am sure they will get along just fine and be good company for each other:)

5. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

well we always intended on getting a second dog, i wanted a rescue. I think i'm more concerned about her adjusting to us and how different it'll be having an outside dog, hopefully she'll come inside in time.

6. rona

rona Guest

Do you know the person you are getting her from?
    A friend of mine was scammed when buying a trained dog :(
    It will take her a long time to settle if she has never been in a house.

7. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

yes he went to see her today and she was working for him, obvisouly they were just doing a little bit and it will take a while for her to trust him and work with him. I know it will take a while be we are hoping if we do it slowly and gradually she will eventually be able to come in. You think having a dog and a bitch will be ok? I just find it weir having a 'working' dog, shes never been a pet and OH is worried we'll ruin what she's got so wanting to be strict with how we handle her, not strict with her, strict with ourselves. What happened to you friend?

8. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

I got my my GSd at 11 months and she had never really been in a house before, she was basically kenneled 24/7 and withina few weeks she settled into my house quite well. she would phase a lot to begin with but soon settled down.

9. rona

rona Guest

It's really hard work with a dog and bitch, can you not get one neutered?
    My friend went and had a demonstration of 3 spaniels (I was with him)
    he picked out the one he wanted, but he picked it up at a later date.
    Once home he started having doubts that it was actually the dog he'd chosen, when I saw it, I was sure it wasn't :eek: but how would you prove it????

10. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

thats awful! Yes Glen will be gettin neutured this summer as he'll be a year. I'm all to aware of the accidents that can happen, read too many stories on here. She will also get neutured at some point.

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

you would be fine with a dog and a bitch aslong as one or both are neutered.

i have a young bitch and a young dog and they get on fine. she is spayed and he will be neutered when hes old enough.

12. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

thanks, just dont want her to be miserable out in kennel, but thats all she's known and worried Glen drives her mad! I'm just such a worrier....want whats best for her.

13. rona

rona Guest

Have you got a room where she can be quiet on her own if she needs to?
    Maybe with a baby gate, so that she can still see you

14. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

not really but we spend a lot of time in the garden so she could be out with us and she could be in kitchen to begin with, just gradually. We do have a hut with a run so thats fine. I suppose no matter what planning we do its just gonna be a case of taking things as they come. There are two other people interested in buying her so we feel if it does all go ti*ts up then she can go elsewhere....edited to say obvisously thats not what we want and we see her as a dog for life.

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

People I know with kennelled dogs, sometimes keep them indoors, if they've got dogs and bitches, to keep the bitches separate when they're in season. As long as you're happy with the person selling the bitch, if you have a good relationship and so can make the transition across with your OH working her, I can't think why you'd have much of a problem.

Just a note about the transition from kennels to house dog, I actually had to do it the other way as I went from owning to renting, and my two have gone from sleeping on a sofa, to sleeping in a kennel box no problems. Doing it the other way round should be just as simple, I think we make more of it as humans than they do, in actual fact, they just get on with it and don't *think* about it in the same terms at all.

16. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

Oh jings, i dunno whether to be excited or terrified! Its such a bizarre feeling.

17. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

well she's coming today...feel sick with nerves!

18. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

corrine you'll be fine :)

I've never had to transend (is that the correct word? Whatevs lol) frrom having a kennel dog to moving it inside......so I can't really help on that part.

good luck :) Glen will prob like a new mate :)

19. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

hope it goes well!! xx

20. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Most retired racing greyhounds have to learn to live in the house. As long as you treat them as you would a new puppy then they are fine. Button had never been in the house when we got her.

I have a mixed pack of entire dogs and entire bitches. It was hard at first but now my dogs know they are not allowed near the bitches are in season. Freyja is in season at the moment but you wouldn't think it.

Dogs and bitches that are both entire are manageable but can be a lot of hard work. I use crates and my dogs and bitches alternate who is in and who is out when season times come around.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice