Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by sue100, May 11, 2010.

1. sue100

sue100 PetForums Junior

one of willows kittens is not doing very well,she is not gaining weight and is being pushed off the nipple by the bigger kittens.
    We have another cat that has 2 kittens that are a few days older that are doing really well and wondered if we could put the kitten with her 2.

any advice on if its safe and how to go about it would be great

thanks

2. jen24

jen24 Banned

Before moving the kitten to another queen, i would try to get it feeding from mum. we had this problem, the kitten wasnt gaining weight or having any time at the nipple due to the others pushing him off, and we were really worried. so i started supervising feeds from a distance then when all the kittens had finished feeding i put the one that didnt get anything near mum for a feed without the others. after a few times of doing this, he got the strength to feed for himself and make sure he wasnt pushed off. that kitten is now the biggest out of them all and very healthy (he is prince in my signature!)

it may take a bit of patiance but i wouldnt take him away from mum just yet.

someone else may be along with some more advice soon if you really want to put him on the other queen, but id try helping him first. :D

3. sue100

sue100 PetForums Junior

i have tried putting him the nipple but as soon as the kittens finish feeding she leaves the box and even if i put her back and put him to the nipple she gets up and gets out of the box again.

she keeps moving the kittens too,and then sits on my daughters bed. i cant put her in our room as the other queen is in there and i don't know if that will work.

4. jen24

jen24 Banned

Sorry i forgot to ask how old they are?

also not gaining weight for a week or so isnt too much of a worry, but they dont want to be losing weight.

5. jen24

jen24 Banned

ok, well you can try to put her with the other queen but it depends on the queen as to whether she will want to feed him. and you dont want to leave the kitten with the ohter queen too lng in case she takes a dislike to him. if it doesnt work and shewont feed him you may have to ffed him yourself, its hard work but will mean he gets fed.

he will need feeding every two hours, day and night.

6. sue100

sue100 PetForums Junior

they are 2 weeks old. the biggest is 265 grms but the smallest is only 175grm but she was not the smallest at birth. she has not gained weight over the last 3 days but the other 4 have so thats why im worried.

7. jen24

jen24 Banned

right, i wouldnt worry with it only being 3 days. but watch very carefully and weigh him everyday for the next 3 days to see if he is gaining anything at all. if he isnt, i would call the vet and ask advice, they will most probably tell you instead of putting him with the other queen to feed him yourself instead.

but try not to worry too much, even if he isnt gaining any weight, you can help him and get him back on track.

8. sue100

sue100 PetForums Junior

ok thanks,i have been weighing him every day and will continue doing that and will ring the vet to see if i can get some kitten milk. can i top him up but still keep him with the mum cat?

9. jen24

jen24 Banned

yes you can :)

good luck, im sure it will all be fine. you can buy the milk from any pet shop. its pricey though and youll need a syringe to feed with bu the vets or pet shop will be able to get you the right ones.

10. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Wait!

I had a problem with one of my little ones, she actually lost 4g one day. She too was bullied of the nip.

The easiest way of rectifying this was committing myself to check the kits every hour. If I see they are feeding and she had been pushed off, I took the heaviest kitten off and popped it up by mums chin, where she nuzzled the kit to keep her still. Then I gently held the smaller kit to the nip until latch on. If the bigger kit keeps heading back to that nip, simply pop it back up by mums neck again. it took 3 attempts on one occasion, but it eventually worked, and within 24hours the smaller kit had gained 19g. That was enough of a gain for her to get stronger and hold her own after that.

Supplementing with formula is a massive commitment, avoid if possible. You could get so many more problems by bottle feeding. This is what I was advised.

11. jen24

jen24 Banned

i already suggested this if you read my above posts. i also said how much hard work is involved in feeding them herself but that is what i was advised to do.

12. Tje

Tje Banned

that's what I always do.... in so far as it's possible keep him with his mum, but give him a little "jump start" by topping up with bottle feeding.

13. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You suggested similar, but not the same. Waiting for them to finish feeding before putting the little one on is a good idea, but not the same as what I was suggesting. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice