Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please weird behaviour driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amiejo1990, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Amiejo1990

Amiejo1990 PetForums Newbie

Hi, im posting this to ask for some advice and wonder if anyone has ever had this?
    We have a dog and she is 5 years old. Got her from my mum about 3 years ago .
    We don't always take her for a walk due to work and me having just having a baby but have been taking her for a hike at least once a week but do play in large garden ect with her . Not ideal but just the way it is.she has been fine no problems. Anyway, my husband has recently changed jobs so has time to take her out and has been taking her out every Morning for about 2 weeks now. Her behaviour has gradually got worse over the past 2 weeks I. E seems anxious /depressed.. Today after her walk /run she has been in her bed whining All day. And last night was whining and digging at her bed. She isn't unwell as is fine when she is out.... Its so weird as I thought she would be happy but seems she is more unhappy now we are taking her out daily!?!

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Is she spayed?

Lurcherlad and mrs phas like this.
  3. Amiejo1990

No she is not.. ?

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome a couple of things I'd ask has she been vet checked ? What breed of dog ? Sometimes something can happen that scares a dog we don't notice could something have scared her ? Is she tired maybe ? And finally could it be the arrival of baby and sudden change of rountine just to much ? Babies can sometimes make dogs go a bit funny.

5. Amiejo1990

She hasn't been vet checked in the last two weeks but regularly sees the vet when are on a pet plan. She is a collie cross . The baby is 3 months old, she was unsettled for a bit but seemed to get over that.
    I don't know about scared or tired? Or why she would be ... She also dug up my flowers in the garden this weekend which is a new thing

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I would definitely get a full vet check could she be coming into season ? Sometimes something can scare them we don't notice noises outside or a funny smell.

7. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I agree a vet check it sounds as if she is displaying phantom pregnancy behaviour.

8. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

looking at her age and not being speyed, my first thought would be pyo, followed closely by phantom
    please get her vet checked and, at the same time, book her in for a spey, which will eliminate any chance of being caught, silent heats, pyo, phantom pregnancy and help avoid mammory tumours

Vicbloss, Lurcherlad and Picklelily like this.
  9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I asked you that because her behaviour sounds typical of a phantom pregnancy, particularly the digging.

Has she had a season within the last couple of months?

It may well be simply coincidence that this has happened at a time when she is being walked in the morning.

I would speak to your Vet about having her spayed.

10. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Everything Mrs phase says - vet check asap please as she is plainly not a happy girl at present

Happy Paws2 and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would agree with Rafa that it sounds like a false pregnancy and it is coincidence it started when the walking started. When was she last in season, you would expect these symptoms around 8 weeks after a season. It does not sound like pyo at all to me but if you want to get her checked by the vet it would be no bad idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice