Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please - Shall I let Indoor Cat go out?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Woody72, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Woody72

Woody72 PetForums Newbie

Hi
    Anyone have experience of letting out a cat that has mostly been an indoor cat?

My cat Woody is now 7 and the past 4 years has been an indoor cat due to the circumstances of where I live, however in the next few months I will be moving and I am considering letting Woody go out again.

He used to go out when he was younger and didnt stray too far. He enjoys home comforts over and above being out all night. :) He is content as an indoor cat but given the chance tries to dash through open doors/windows. And I think it would enhance his quality of life.

Any tips on how a cat would cope to being re-climatised to going outside again?

Thanks!

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Hi there.
    I think it now that you are moving would be an ideal time to introduce him to the outside world.
    Firstly when you move house keep him in for a couple of weeks and now that the summer is here i would buy a harness with a lead ( you can get them from any pet shop and they are more comfortable for them then just a collar where they can pull and escape!!)and take him out twice a day around your garden, letting him have a good look and sniff round. After a couple of weeks of this you can then let him out while your in the garden to keep an eye on him. All the while talking to him and not letting him go too far.
    Best to let him do this when you have the weekend off. Each time he comes back after you call him give him a treat. This does wonders!!:)
    Also best to have a few rules Such as keeping him in at night.
    I have just adopted a one year old and i have recently done this. He use to jump over the fences but each time i would get him back!!
    We have just got him to use a cat flap now he knows the garden but we lock it at night so he can't go out.

Hope this helps!:D

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Dont see why not, after all this time he might not even bother! Take it slow and see what happens! :D

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

yeah i wud jst leave the door open to the garden or somethin and if he wants to go out he can if not he can stay in.

suppose it wud be nice for him to have the option now, like in previous post jst take it slow and let him decide wat he wants to do

good luck :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice