Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please Ringworm

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Rosie64, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Chip went to the vet the other day for his health check and i mentioned about a patch he had on him where the hair seemed to be coming out a bit. She took him and shaved the area so she could get a better look, when she came back she said she "thinks" it is Ringworm
    P3280865.JPG
    she wanted to send a sample for analysis to be sure. This culture evidently takes 4 weeks to come back with a result, she gave me hibiscrub and said to bathe it regularly 2 - 3 times a day until results come back.
    I was a bit shocked by the fact that he may have this and didn't think to ask any questions and I know nothing about Ringworm in fact I thought it was an actual worm until I started reading up on it. As it is highly contagious I do not really want to wait 4 weeks before starting treatment, so my questions are :-
    a) would it be ok for me to start treatment now before the results come back
    b) as it is a fungal infection,would it be safe to use Canestan cream on it,(it is on his back where he can't lick it ) c) what else can I do to help clear it up quickly
    d) Any ideas where / how he may have picked this up, he has been no where except the garden for a while as I have not been able to take him out
    Thank you in advance for any responses
    oh and all his test came back clear apart from this he is fit and healthy

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Does your vet not have a woods/black light? Its not 100% reliable and a bit old school, but enough to give an idea as to whether to start possible treatment whilst waiting on the culture.

Personally, id phone the vet and ask if it would be possible to assume it is ringworm and treat accordingly. I wouldnt want to wait weeks myself.

You can use Canestan, but check your vet is happy for you to do so first.

BlueJay likes this.
  3. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

@Nonnie Thank you for your reply
    I have phoned the vet and am waiting for a call back, but they are very understaffed at the moment and don't always remember to do so,
    so was just wondering if any one that had been through this could help.

4. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

5. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

by the way it will not hurt anything at all if you treat and it is not ringworm.

6. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you, this is what I was also concerned about

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Some types of ringworm fungal infection will fluoresce under a woods lamp which vets usually have, so that's the first thing they normally do to check if its ringworm, do you know if the vet checked with a woods lamp? Not all types will though, so the only other way to test if the wood lamp doesn't show anything is to do a culture which as she said can take up to about 4 weeks.
    Demodex can cause patches of hair loss that can look similar too, you can get localised patches with that classed as between 1 to 5 isolated patches. Most dogs have a few demodex mites and normally the immune system keeps them down, but if they are a bit below parr or had something like steroids then it can patches of hair loss that can look similar, if you look at a skin scrape or hair plucks under a microscope then you usually have a good chance of seeing demodex mites.

As ringworm is caused by a fungus they can pick it up inn the environment from soil and things.

I know sometimes Malaseb shampoo is given which you can only get from vets or with a prescription as that treats ringworm,
    https://dermcare.com.au/Products/Shampoo-and-Rinse/Malaseb

You can treat human ringworm with canestan, I would assume as long as he cant lick it then it would be OK, but maybe just check with your vet first.
    https://www.canesten.co.uk/en/derm/symptoms/ringworm/treatment/

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I've had ringworm myself, caught it from a cat when I used to work in a shelter but it didn't look like that, there was a distinct ring of raised red/itchy skin with normal skin either side whereas Chip's looks like a patch with no ring. Not saying it isn't ringworm just that it doesn't look like mine did. I used Canestan cream and it soon went away.

9. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you both for your reply

10. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I'm not sure I'd want to wait 4 weeks, you can use of over the counter cream like lotrimin.

11. Rosie64

Rosie64 PetForums VIP

Thank you for your reply

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice