Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please re fatty lumps

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DT, Jun 7, 2017.

1. DT

DT Banned

Milly is Ten this year, yes time has flown,
    She has several very large fatty lumps, we have been to the vets on numerous occasions, one was removed, others have had fine needle aspirations, all have been confirmed as fatty tuners, all the vet says is we will keep am eye on them, one specifically on her undercarriage and one on her side I don't like the look of, the vet says she is pretty sure they are the same as the others, think I would be happier if they were removed, any input welcome please?
    She's a Weimaraner by the way X image.jpeg

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

It's obviously your choice to have them removed. If there will be enough skin for removal, and no problems with Milly then I cannot see why you cannot have them removed.

The only reason the vet will not be suggesting them to be removed is because usually if they are not bothering the dog there is no need, and they as you know they are common and do no harm unless in awkward places that can inhibit movement. If vets did recommend removal of every fatty lump...then no doubt, everyone would say what money grabbing people they are...and that's common enough.

Just explain to your vets your fears about the specific ones and see what they say. Hopefully both can be removed.

3. DT

DT Banned

Thank you, and I have been pretty relaxed, but the one on her undercarriage is really bothering me, think it's been made worse as had a long chat with the meter reader today re his lab, which he has just lost, will try and post a picture tomorrow X

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If it helps...in my experience bad lumps feel like a mass of little lumps...err not the greatest description ok if you squeeze a tube of toothpaste out and let it go hard, so lumpy like that...if that makes sense. Of course, that's only one type of 'bad lump'. Harmless lumps usually move freely and are smooth to the touch. This is the general rule of thumb, but can depend on variables such as position and growth to name just two.

However ALL lumps should be checked by vets, which you have done. Yes the vets right, once you get one fatty lump, the possibility of getting more is common.

Has the lumps you are concerned with been checked by the vet with a needle aspiration?

Yes talking to another about what horrible thing happened to their dog, often breeds worry about the possibility it could be happening to our own so I can see your concern.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice