Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please, possible lost cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by knnphl, Nov 21, 2012.

1. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

There is a kitten (roughly 6 months) that has been outside my house crying his head off since monday.

He was there for a good few hours monday then has appeared again tonight.

He is un-neutered and as far as I can tell is not chipped.

I am wondering if he is lost or has been thrown out. He seems very keen to give you a lot of attention if you coax him over and he also seems quite hungry.

I am wondering what to do?

I have rang the local vets and also put up a post on facebook, apart from that Im not sure if I should feed him.

If I feed him I will at least be able to see how hungry he is, but then what if he is just rediculously friendly and wont stop coming back :)

Can someone please help.

Thanks

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

If he's been there for 2 days and keeps crying, I would say feed him, especially if he seems quite hungry. It's getting colder too. He may be lost. I would bring him indoors if you can, feed him and take him to the vets to scan for a chip. You could ask your neighbours, but if the owners can't be traced, he can't just be left outside, especially this time of year :( Sounds like he has had loving owners, if he is friendly, but is possibly lost.

3. amszephyr

amszephyr PetForums Junior

Yes, take him in, feed him and keep him safe tonight then get him scanned at a vet ASAP. If I had lost a kitten, I'd prefer to know that a kind person had taken him in rather than left him outside to fend for himself.
    It'd also be good if you can contact your local branches of Cats' Protection/ the RSPCA to tell them you have found him so if his owner is looking and calls those organisations, they can get him home. Good luck!

4. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

Awh! Take him in, give him food and a warm place to stay!

5. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

He's gone now :-(

Ive just been to the shop and put some felix kitten out just in case. If he comes back Ill bring him in and take him up tomorrow, will have to borrow a basket off someone :)

Just noticed hes not wet and its been `drzzly` today, so Im wondering if he has a place to stay or not. Are they any good at keeping dry?

When ours were still living here (partner moved out) they were always coming home wet :D

6. TheCatSlave

TheCatSlave Guest

Hope he returns soon, pictures would be a bonus!:eek:

7. The Minkey

The Minkey PetForums Member

At 6 months, it may have only recently been let outdoors. Alternatively, it may have escaped or been dumped. Have you tried asking nearby to see if he/she belongs to neighbours? If you draw a blank there, definitely get it scanned for a chip. I agree the weather's getting too nasty now to be outside without food/warmths so if I were you and able to, I'd take it in while I look for its people. Inform the animal charities but if you don't find its owners, don't take it to the RSPCA as I believe they may euthanise in certain circumstances. Cat's Protection seem to be good, as are Celia Hammond if they operate in your area.

#7 The Minkey, Nov 21, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

I spoke with one of the neighbours and they have already taken it to the vets to see if it had a chip but it did not.

I wonder if hes been dumped poor thing, or wandered. Our (pickle) wandered off when he was a similar age (literally 2 days before he was due to be snipped) and he turned up 6 weeks later 3 miles away!!!!

I had to go out tonight but I went to the shop and got some food for him. He came back just before I went out so I put it out and he wolfed it down. I left him some water and turned the wheel barrow upside down incase it rains.

I know its not the best but as I don't have cats anymore I dont have anything for him (litter etc) and dont fancy wee and poop in my living room!

If he comes back tonight Ill pop up to the 24hr and get some essentials and try and sort something tomorrow. Ill rings cats protection anyway.

More annoyingly the little beggar is in my head now, I fear I am already attached!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

Put some notices through neighbours doors, assuming you have a printer, and in local shops if you can.

Just say 'cat found', and your area. Don't describe him. Let any callers describe him to you, and make sure they are quite precise.

If no one comes forward, and as he's been to a vets at least once before to be identified, and if you are getting attached, then congratulations on your new friend and master :D

10. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

Ha ha if only! I work away from home so cant possibly do that :-(

Hes currently locked in the dining room down stairs as Im worried he has fleas.

I did the water test with some fur I had brushed off and a few little white specs when red :-(

Im itching!!!!!!

I will feed him in the morning and then rings cats protection from work.

He is very cute though :)

11. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

Can someone please give advice on flea treatment actually?

Its been a while since I did it.

Supposing a treat him tonight, will he be safe in the rest of the house then?

Also, here he is;

[​IMG]

Im struggling to get hold of cats protection, can anyone advise on other numbers?

Thanks

12. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Aw he's lovely! You would be best to take him to the vet so you can put advocate or stronghold on him as over the counter treatments don't work too good !

13. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

So, the earliest apptmt I can get is saturday 9am.

Can you recomend anything I can do so I can at least let him out of the dining room without giving my couch / bed / carpet fleas :)

Would just the normal frontline stuff do?

Thanks

14. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

I'd take him to the vet too, you need to have his weight to get the right dosage and an effective treatment.

If he might be going home still you could try a paper collar on him:

http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Blo...here=1164732651162&blobheader=application/pdf

CPL and all the rescues nearly always at their limits, if you can find his owners that would be great, if you have put posters already try and extend the area, he's likely only come a few streets, its so easy for them to get disorrientated, maybe your neighbour could help?

15. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

Ask the neighbour that already took him to the vet which vet it was, if they weighed him already you should just be able to buy the treatement without apointment.

16. knnphl

knnphl PetForums Newbie

I have used some felway on him (but only over the counter).

Its doing my nut in, I feel really cruel making him stay in the dining room but dont want to infest my house. Would there be any real risk?

When I pulled his fur back I couldnt see any really......

Rang lots of shelters today and they are all packed! People are such selfish buggers taking pets they can bloody well keep!!!!!

17. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I'm not good at coping with fleas I have a flea phobia so if it was me I wouldn't be taking the risk but I'm sure others may tell you it will be fine, which it might be but personally I wouldn't for the reasons I've said! Poor little thing :( maybe you could contact the vet he's already been to like someone suggested then you won't have to wait?? Frontline has had a poor reviews lately but I know people personally who have used it and swear by it again I wouldn't use frontline cos I wouldn't want to risk an infestation

18. amszephyr

amszephyr PetForums Junior

Frontline is better than nothing - yes, some areas seem to have resistant fleas, but Frontline may still do some good. Something else you could do is register him on the National Missing Pets Register here - particularly now that you have a photo you could upload.
    I found a cat in the summer when it wandered into my cottage - posters that I put up round the local area resulted in his owner making contact, so they can work. Good luck!

19. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

He is cute. Love Gingers.
    Hope he finds a Loving Home.

20. denflo

denflo PetForums Senior

He is gorgeous! The only thing I can add here in regards to flea treatment is PLEASE do not use the Bob Martin stuff, it can be so dangerous, Frontline is better than nothing, yes it has been reported that the little beggars are becoming immuned to it, but it still works to a certain extent and it is safe. Good luck in finding him a home, he is such a cutie!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice