Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please on Rottweiler or Bullmastiff

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jones123, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Jones123

Jones123 PetForums Newbie

Hello, my Husband and I are looking for another dog to join our pack. We currently have a 7yo Pug, a 2yo working Springer and a very old staffy who sadly won’t be with us much longer. We also have two young children who are very confident with dogs.
    We live in the middle of fields on a quiet lane and feel very vulnerable at times. We are looking first for a loyal family dog but second for a large deterrent dog (not trained for ‘protection’), one that will slot into our pack. We are experienced with dogs, my husband has had mainly Staffs for over 25 years, and has done a huge amount of gundog training with our Springer. Our Pug thinks she is a cat and largely ignores everyone. I stay at home, so our dogs are with me all of the time, we have a large house with an acre of land we have long walks on our doorstep and once a week they go to a lady in the village for day care which they love! We have very happy dogs who live a lovely life.
    So we’ve narrowed down to either a Rottweiler or a Bullmastiff having done extensive research. My Husband wants a boy, my concern is that I’ve read conflicting information on Bullmastiff males not getting on with other males. Our Springer and Staff are both males. Granted, the Staff wouldn’t be with us by the time the new Pup was an adult but our Springer would.
    This, coupled with a few other things this is pushing me towards a Rottweiler which I do absolutely love the look of but need to know he’s coming from good lines with a good temperament.
    Does anyone have experience of either or both of these breeds? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

#1 Jones123, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  2. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I think your best deterrent would be investing in a decent security system, CCTV, lights, alarms etc. I wouldn't rely on an untrained dog to scare people off. You have no idea how it will turn out, it could be soft as you like and instead of barking at people coming onto your property, it could just run up to them and want to greet them lol.

CheddarS, kimthecat, BlueJay and 6 others like this.
  3. Jones123

Thanks for your reply. We have all of this, state of the art CCTV, lighting and alarm but if someone wants to get into your house they will. Although, with a big barking dog I front of you, you may think twice. The reason we’ve narrowed down to those two breeds is that they are natural ‘protectors’ who will alert us/make themselves heard

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Not necessarily.

And a "guardian breed" dog won't discriminate between a burglar coming to steal the family silver, and a paramedic or fire fighter coming to save a life. Have you thought about that?

5. Jones123

That’s a good point, thank you. That’s why we want one from good lines with good temperament and it would of course be trained in obedience. And why I lean more towards a Bullmastiff.
    We won’t change our mind on the type of dog we want - we have our reasons for wanting one of these - although I do appreciate the discussion, I’m just looking for advice on the particular dogs. First and foremost we want a family dog (which these dogs are with responsible breeding and owners) but with the added bonus of all I have mentioned.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I do think with the right training both can be family dogs. I have two male boxers who get on fine. However if someone broke in I’d be on my own because they would be hiding. They do have a fierce bark though. I would be worried as pups they may accidentally hurt your pug.

BlueJay and LinznMilly like this.
  7. Jones123

Great to hear you have two male boxers living happily together. Are they of a similar age? I think she’d be ok, she’s a muscly pug after hours of tug with the staff when he was younger, you’d never believe how cat like she is, she totally stays out of the way, and hides under a chair when the other two rough play... but when the bouncing Springer picks on her she puts him in his place and trots off. She’s highly amusing!

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

D2DF67BE-0426-47BD-9A37-C0B1370E2998.jpeg The boys are 6 and 2. The younger one was very irritating as a puppy but they are best friends now never had a cross word. They enjoy to play with each other. They do let me know if someone is coming down the drive.

kimthecat and margy like this.
  9. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

So do the girls. But apart from Milly Lurcher jumping all over them in excitement, and Honey Chi yapping her head off, (note to OP, Chihuahuas are supposedly one of the top ten watch dog breeds in the world) I'm pretty confident no burglar would come to any physically harm from them . . . Maybe an accidental headbutt or scratch from her claws, but nothing serious.

Which reminds me.

A relative has a DDB X lab. Very loud bark. I've managed to walk right through to their kitchen, put something on the counter and leave whilst they were out (and walk in at six in the morning while they were in bed - hopefully they take more precaution and lock their door now).

Their dog never moved from the couch.

#9 LinznMilly, Feb 10, 2021
    Calvine likes this.
  10. rottieboys

rottieboys PetForums Senior

My son has a French bull dog who is very good at protecting the house and family. I love Rottweiler but recommend with small children a puppy.

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

There is that but I suppose you have to weigh up the benefits & risks. I live rurally & my older GSD was a natural guard dog. Nobody taught her to be but if I was not here then no one was coming in, regardless of whether she knew them Even if I was here then she would rush to the door & friends knew not to just walk in. I liked this as I did feel safer.

Now I have my two male GSD's & one barks on command (useful for when strangers come to the door) & I think the youngest one has also shown tendencies to be another dog who has natural guarding tendencies. If I lived in a built up area or one where there were frequently people at the house then this may be an issue but I don't so is something I am quite glad about

#11 Cleo38, Feb 10, 2021
    Sairy likes this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

When we have heard scary things outside Sox barks and then gets in my bed and hides.

13. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have handled a few rottweillers. For some reason I find them quite hard to read though maybe easier with tails. They are lovely dogs if handled correctly. I have only experience of one bull mastiff and he was totally out of control with the owners but very well mannered with me. He was a very powerful dog and of the two breeds I would prefer a rottie.

Cleo38 likes this.
  14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

None of the mastiffs I know would even open an eye if someone walked into their house :Hilarious Far too happy and content snoozing and drooling on the bed.
    A rottie would be better but you want to be really careful about the lines, we had some really nasty ones down here for a while, we'd get them in at work (kennels) and you'd have to be really careful around them (I expect people were breeding indiscriminately). My colleague's sister had a lovely boy when he was younger, but he started getting aggressive with the kids and had to be PTS. They aren't hugely dog tolerant or friendly in my experience, but should be fine with your other dogs if brought up with them.

15. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I train with some lovely rotties from both show & working lines. All are lovely dogs (but then come from very good breeders) & I would definitely consider one in the future

Sarah H likes this.
  16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think for your purposes, a rottie is the better bet. If you find one of good temperament, health and good lines they are pretty bombproof with family with the added deterrent factor. Bullmastifs IME are much too lazy as adults for my taste, and perhaps even your lifestyle.

My big caveat though would be how compatible the rottie and springer would be. They tend to not have particularly compatible personalities. Rotties don't suffer fools gladly and springers can be silly and have guarding issues. A male rottie who's confident enough to be safe for your purposes is also not going to put up with antisocial behavior like inappropriate guarding.

Have a think about how well your springer reads other dogs, is willing to back down appropriately, and especially how well he takes correction from another dog. They will likely be fast friends while the rottie is a youngster, but once the rottie reaches social and mental maturity there might be issues.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Ooooh Linz, who did you leave on their counter ?:D

18. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol. Damn autocorrect and lack of proofreading. :rolleyes: :D

Post edited. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

SusieRainbow likes this.
  19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Hahaha! When Kato was 10/11wks old if he heard anything outside he was charging out the dog flap to sort it out ... so funny! :D

Boxer123 likes this.
  20. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Ha ha, auto carrot strikes again

kimthecat and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice