Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please - moving house with two cats that don’t get along

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alex Douglas, Oct 27, 2018.

?

Keep them together in new house or split them up?

1. Same room

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Seperate rooms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alex Douglas

Alex Douglas PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We are moving house in a few months and I wanted to make sure that we don’t upset or stress out our cats in the process.

They are outdoor cats, girl is 4 years old and boy is 2 years old (very confident black cat!)

I’ve read all of the advise about keeping the cat in a room for up to a month with litter tray, food, their beds and some personal belongings for smells, however none of them mention about having two cats locked up in a room that don’t get along!

The reason they don’t get along is plain and simple... territory in our current house!

So with the new house and new territory I’m hoping this will be a ‘clean slate’ for the two of them and they might well work out how to share their new surroundings!?

Do we stick to the one room and hope they get along (it’s quite a big room so they won’t be on top of each other) or do we seperate them and let them out around the house at the same time?!

Any advice would be welcomed :)

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I think I'd be inclined to separate them ! The last thing you want is fights breaking out whilst dealing with the stress of moving !

chillminx likes this.
  3. Dumpling

Dumpling PetForums VIP

Seperate rooms for sure, moving is stressful enough for cats without being in an enclosed space with another cat they dislike.

When you do reintroduce them to the rest of the house it would be a good idea to ensure there are plenty of resources, it's generally recommended to have one litter tray per cat plus an extra, so 3 trays for 2 cats, as well as seperate feeding areas and water bowls and make sure they are in different places. This will ensure there isn't competition over resources which can often be a source of tension between cats. Also plenty of high up spaces that they can get away from each other if they want to.

4. Lirael

Lirael PetForums Junior

I would definitely separate them. My parents' cats hate one another and have each claimed one floor of the house (George = downstairs; Leo = upstairs). They avoid stress this way, but when one imposes on the others' space, there's clear and immediate tension. Would it be possible for you to pick rooms on different floors?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice