Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please - kitten with upset stomach

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Melo, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

My 6 month old kitten, Henry has had an upset stomach (the runs) and been off his food since Tuesday night. I'd given him some cat treats at the weekend and on Monday that he hadn't had before and on Tuesday I thought that was maybe what had caused his upset stomach. When I got up on Wed morning, he seemed fine, ate his breakfast no problem and was being his usual self. I didn't give him any treats, just incase it was them that had caused it. When I got in from work on Wed, I discovered that he still had the runs and he didn't want to eat his dinner. This morning, he only ate half his breakfast and has just nibbled at his dinner tonight and he still has the runs (although it doesn't seem to be quite as bad today).

I haven't given him any more treats, I've just been giving him his normal food. Apart from the treats, nothing else in his diet has changed, he doesn't go out so couldn't have picked something up and eaten it.

He's his usual self in every other way, he's still playing and jumping around as usual and he's not sleeping any more than normal.

Should I take him to the vet tomorrow or do you think it will pass?

2. auspiciousmind

auspiciousmind PetForums VIP

Definatley go to the vets!

What are feeding?

Romeo had the runs when we first got him at 5 months old.. He was treated for Giardia ... and a few weeks after he got the runs again.. I changed food to grain/cereal free and *touch wood* apart from a reaction to a flear collar recently.. haven't had any problems since.

3. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

He gets Animonda Carne wet food and he has Applaws dry food always available for him. It doesn't look like he's eaten much of the dry food between today and yesterday and he's only really eating his wet in the morning.

I'll phone the vet first thing and see if I can take him down.

What is Giardia?

4. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

I took Henry to see the vet and he thinks that he has some intestinal inflammation caused by an allergic reaction to something in the new treats I gave him. The vet checked his temperature and it was fine (although Henry was not happy about having this checked! :eek:). The vet also checked his weight (3.4kg) and said that this is fine too (the vet agreed that he is a big boy for just over 6months, but he's not overweight).

Anyway, the vet gave him a steroid injection and then gave me a paste to give him twice a day for the next 5 days to help bind the contents of his stomach. The paste is a natural paste as the vet said he didn't think it would be good for him to put lots of chemicals into his little body.

He's still not eating as much as usual, but is eating a bit more and this morning actually showed some interest in his food (by climbing all over me as I was trying to put it into his bowl) which he hasn't done since this started on Tuesday. His runs are not so runny anymore, and things seem to be slowly getting back to normal.

I'm glad that it was nothing serious and also very happy that I can see an improvement in him fairly quickly. :001_smile: He had me worried there for a while that it was going to be something serious! No more Kool Katz treats for Henry now! :nono:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice