Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please - just noticed this on Meg

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by PembrokeMadhouse, Apr 9, 2011.

1. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

Only just noticed this damp patch on Meg and pulled the fur apart to reveal a really sore area... wonder if any one got ideas 1) what it is, 2) is it mange/dermatetic thingy, 3) what I can do to treat it for now until vets on Monday .... (this is because it isn't bothering her too much, she is not scratching it or nibbling it - yet - but would imagine it will in this heat and it is not hot to the touch although it is sticky ... She does have very dry flaky skin normally, I just wonder if this is an exacerbation of this ... or something worse like the mange x

I know it is hard from a picture, but any advice please ... Clare x

Attached Files:

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

You cant really see well from the picture, but I m pretty positive that is not mange! I would just wash it with warm water for now, it looks like she has been chewing herself to me!

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Does the discharge feel oily and sticky and has she got hairloss and is the skin bright red and shiny? One of mine had similar a few years back, they found that it was some sort of allergic reaction to possibly a bite. He gave her a steroid shot and I think she had some antibiotics too. If its isnt that it could be some kind of hot spot or type of wet eczema.

You havent got ants in your garden by any chance and has she been laying out there? some dogs can get a reaction to ant bites, They inject a type of acid in their bite, could be something like that. Think its salic (sp) acid.

4. PembrokeMadhouse

No ants ... but it is sticky ... so possible infection ... will bath it with warm water and hopefully that will sooth it .. as i say its not bothering her at the moment, but may do later on ... Thanks for advice so far x

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It looks self inflicted to me but could be a contact dermatitis. I would clip the hair back to healthy skin and wash and dry the lesion and cover with some sort of ointment. You will easily be able to see if it grows in size if you have a clipped area. If it is growing or is not drying up I would go to the vet.

6. PembrokeMadhouse

This patch of skin doesn't seem to be getting better so I am going to get to the vets as soon as I can this week .. will phone first thing tomorrow ... Have put Meg in a buster collar for now, and she is sooooo not happy, but she was licking and nibbling it so I thought it best ...

7. PembrokeMadhouse

This sounds most likely, thank you Shetlandlover ... it wasn't there in the morning I am sure, and then suddenly in the evening there it was ... and it is bigger now I've clipped her hair away, it doesn't smell, but I think this heat is causing her to nibble at it, hence the collar .. ... good job meg is insured ... off to the vets I think we will go ... x

8. ladyalex

ladyalex PetForums Junior

it could be a bite and she's just been chewing on it which would make it more sore...my 2 have been bitten,not sure what by though...
    as you now have a collar on her keep it clean and see how it gets on,it may clear up now she cant chew on it....

9. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

look s like a hot spot to me. make sure you cut all hair away fron the sore and if possible bathe in hibbiscrub. calomine lotion will help soothe it.

hot spots can appear! without warning.

10. PembrokeMadhouse

hibbiscrub - what's that? I've got calomine so will try that ...

11. No problem. :) Its something many people dont know about but it is common.
    A lady I met at crufts was looking at shampoo's for her shelties and said about how her dogs have hot spots quite frequently.

Hope she improves!

12. ladyalex

it a antimicrobial skin cleanser...its really good...it is quite strong so you have to dilute it.....

13. PembrokeMadhouse

where can I get that from, is it "human" or animal ... our nearest decent P@H is an hour away, the vets is half an hour ... is there like a shampoo I can give her in the future to prevent these?

14. ladyalex

i got mine from the vets....but you should have a look on the net for it,you may find it there....it is very good for treating all sorts of things....

15. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

Hibbiscrub was devised as a skin cleansing agent for staff in operating theatres. It is VERY strong. Many staff (myself included) found it GAVE them contact dermatitis, so another brand was always available.

I have absolutly no idea why it has suddenly become the new cure all in the dog world. If this is a skin infection, you don't want to add to it by giving him contact dermatitis on top. If it is so good at treating skin infections why is it not used in human medicine?

I wouldn't use it on my dog at all unless the vet gave me very good reasons why it should work.

If I were you, I would keep it clean (with a saline solution. 1 teaspoon in 1 pint of pre boiled water) and dry and get to see the vet at the earliest opportunity.

I hope it clears up fast :)

16. Ridgielover

Ridgielover PetForums Senior

If it was one of mine, I'd go with bathing it with some salty water (as above, 1 teaspoon to a pint of water) and then give the dog an antihistamine in case it's an allergic reaction to something. If it isn't improving by the morning, I'd pop along to the vet
    HTH

17. PembrokeMadhouse

Well it is worse this morning ... silly me, had her in bed all night with a buster collar, and it looked quite good, so for her walk this morning I took it off and of course forgot to put it back on ... So now it is red raw again and she is back with the collar on ...

Vets later today x

18. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Oh no poor girly.

Willow has had a couple of hot spots, as far as I can tell there isnt much chance of stopping them happening just catching them early.
    I treat Willow's hot spots by cleaning them every other day with savlon antiseptic spray which has the same active ingredient as hibiscrub but is already dilute and in a handy spray. ( I have shaved the area)
    I then use athletes foot powder (in my case the spray version). It is antifungal and clears up the hot spot in days.
    I happened to be taking Willow to the vets a short while after she developed the hot spot and the vet said what I was doing was working great and the only thing she would have been able to offer was a cream (fuciderm).

I would like to add that my version is down to some very helpful advice from malmum who without I think we would have ended up with a much worse case on Willows first one which was on her back. :smile:

19. PembrokeMadhouse

Well the patch is about the size of my palm today ... probably looks worse coz I clipped the hair back, but at least I can see the extent of it ... will pop out later and get some savlon spray and powder (thank you babycham2000) before I go and see the vet - anything to soothe it for her, must be sooooo irritating ...Just hope it doesn't get too much bigger otherwise people will start wondering what I'm doing to her !

C X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice