Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please, I feel so awful

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ColliePower, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ColliePower

ColliePower PetForums Senior

Dog owners - advice please!?? What do u do when u or ur partner changes jobs due to financial constraints thus meaning your dogs ( which are used to someone being home a couple of times during the day or indeed all day ) are then going to be left longer at home possibly from half 8 till half five. My dogs have always had company and when I lived with my parents there was always someone home.

No, I know it doesnt kill them, but Ive always had dogs and know they're hardly ever left, because I dont and wouldnt feel right (my personal feelings) leaving them all day.

I feel sick & full of guilt - advice please. My fiance was the one always at home and got made redundant, he now has a similar kind of job but different shifts mean he will be out most of the day :-(

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi
    Can you not employ a dog walker or a friend too go in and give them a quick walk and a bit of company?

Also look at bordem busters ie kings, hiding things for them to find ect.

3. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Can you get a dog walker to come in during the day? I leave my dogs with toys that keep them occupied whilst i'm out, eg kongs stuffed with different foods. I leave the radio on too.

4. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i would consider getting a friend or family member round to walk them in between and leave kongs to keep them occupied, or get a dog walker or consider day boarding :)

5. ColliePower

Its just hvaing dogs all my life ive never worked full time and left them

Do many other people work full time and have dogs?? I worry about strangers coming into my home and walking my dogs when i dont know them, or something happening whilst they have my dogs and they dont tell em etc

Oh i just feel terrible today was the first day and when we left this morning the look on there faces was complete heartbreak :( We left radio on, fans on, plenty of water but i just cant stop thinking how bored and miserable they must be

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I would hire a dog walker or companion for them, maybe a neighbour who is out of work and would appreciate a little cash or a family member or friend?

I use kongs for the afternoon when i go back to work after lunch, i walk the dogs at 8 am then go to work at 8.45, i then get home at 11.45 and give them their kongs when i go back to work at 12.15, then i am home at 3.30pm. So maybe you could get someone to come in lunchtime then leave them kongs or something for the afternoon? When do they get walked? Maybe take them before work so they just rest for the morning?

Don't feel too guilty i am sure you will sort something out. XX

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I work full time. My hubby starts a little later than me and as a teacher I can get home some days from 3.30 (although this is rare :rolleyes: ). My teenage daughter arrives home pretty early too. I can come home for lunch too if needs be.

I feel guilty, but like you say needs must.

If you get a dog walker, look for ones registered with NARP. Have some initial meetings and go for a walk together - see if you like/trust them. Our dog walker has become a good friend and our dogs have gone to live with them in the past when we go away on holiday. :thumbup:

It can work out well - the only downside is that all the extra money that you earn by working extra hours goes straight out agin on the dog walker! :rolleyes:

8. ColliePower

Firstly I dont think I could hire a dog walker, because i Have a BC who's extremely sensitive and trusts only a few, a 12 year old whos losing her sight a 10 year old who has problem hips so needs gentle walks regularly and a whippet cross who i am embarrasred to say is an escape artist and has the worst recall in the world.

So I have 4 very different dogs who need different levels of exercise and have such different needs.

Us walking them has never been a problem as we have quite abit of land surrounding us and they are used to getting at least 3 walks a day over a good few miles (apart from my 10 and 12 year old who need less)

I could ask a friend to come down yes of course, but most of my friends also work full time.

They have kongs, activity balls but as we leave them they are not interested in the toys :(

Im going to have to work something out as I cant cope with this and dont feel its fair on them, they are my whole world.

My fiance urges me not to consider leaving my job for a more local one as I earn such a good wage but I dont know what else we can too other then me move jobs and go part time, but financially that'll kill us,

9. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

Firstly dog walker great idea but more importantly dont beat yourself up. For personal reasons (health) İ was forced to return to the UK and had to remain there for 6 months. My 6 dogs who İ care for in my way whatever others may think of that! had to adjust to a different way of being cared for whilst i was away not my way but they were safe and although the first few weeks were difficult they survived and yes they are over the moon i am back.

Sometimes NEEDS MUST so forgive yourself - make the best plans possible and spoil them senseless when you get back from work.

Sending you positive vibes from 2,000 miles away and home the future is kinder to you. :thumbup:

10. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

I am in a sort of similar sitation.. I originally moved jobs to work back 2 miles from home and loved my job and could get hoem lunchtimes if needed; but my OH worked afternoons and evenings so they were only home alone in the afternoons and I was only ever 15 mins away.

I then lost my job and after a long summer have taken a job which I like but is a 50 mile commute each day and longer hours. Today I was out from 7.30 amd to 7.30pm. Then by the time get hoem and walk dogs its half 8 - I have an hour commute each way plus 8.5 hours at the office.

My OH could walk them but I think I didn't get dogs not to get the pleasure of walking them in the summer.

At the same time as I got this job my OH lost loads of hours at his work and hasn't got a job yet so we are OK.... but he is desperately looking for work and if he goes full time and can't get home I don't know what we shall do.

Luckily OH's work is more evening based so hoping some split of hours which will help; also my work let me work from home one day a week and sick of the travelling so may see if can to two - don't mind working the extra hours at home. I also have a friend with dogs who works from home and has said she will have them a couple of days a week for a little bit of cash, we will walk them but they get tired there as always on the go.

I would worry about a dog walker coming in - first dog is quite terrortorial of the house and second dog can be dog aggressive; would want someone who wouldn't be squirting water on him or shouting at him. I know they are out there but I have never seen a dog walker advert round here, good or bad.

My friend when she worked had a friend that worked in the area from another area and used to pay her to go round and eat her lunch at theirs to break the day up.

11. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

As long as they have a good walk before you leave for work and after, I'm sure they will adapt - they do have each other for company after all, although I would suggest you get someone in during the day to let them out in the garden. 9 and half hours is an awful long time for them to have to go without relieving themselves. Do you have a kindly neighbour who could pop in during the day?

12. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I would really try and get a trusted friend/neighbour to at least let them in the garden for a run around and toilet at some point throughout the day as that is a very long time. Must be a frustrating situation for you right now. I am sure you will work something out.

13. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

I so sympathise, though I don't have an answer. Obviously it is a new problem you couldn't have foreseen and something you are not happy about. Could you get someone reliable, and who needs a little bit of money, that you trust to pop in once or twice during the day (I'm thinking a trustworthy teenager or an elderly neighbour that you could give a few pounds a week for a mid-day visit?) If your dogs are not juveniles or hyperactive breeds you may find they will be fine. But I would be stressing just like you in your position, hope you can get something sorted.

14. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My dogs are left occasionally for a long day and they never seem bothered - mostly it's 8.30 - 3.30 on days I'm working and the kids are at school.
    I can't leave them with any treat dispensing toys otherwise they'll fight - I'm convinced they sleep most of the time we are not there.
    A good walk before work and a good play/training session and walk after work and they should be fine.
    My main worry would be toilet breaks - a friend of ours has a retired person come in and sit with her dogs for an hour or 2 hours on days she is working longer hours, he doesn't walk them as they are older dogs with different needs, it just gives them a bit of company. The man enjoys their company as well :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice