Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

ADVICE PLEASE, Horse has hives or heat lumps

Discussion in 'Horse Health and Nutrition' started by Rhi29firman, Feb 7, 2019.

?

What is this rash on my horse?

1. Hives or heat lumps

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Rhi29firman

Rhi29firman PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m looking for a few opinions on a rash my horse has currently (picture will be attached)

It started last Sunday and has spread more everyday, they are lumps over her body which look like hives/heat lumps I’m not sure if she is having a reaction to something or if I am over rugging her and they are heat lumps, anyone have an idea? It has been 5 days since they have appreaed and I’m a big worrier so always fear the worst, I was told to leave it as it might clear up on own and I have Put less/lighter weight rugs on to see if that helps.

Nothing has changed in her diet, bedding, turn out, rugs everything has been the same which is why I’m a bit confused as to why she has all of a sudden got this.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If nothing has changed, then it sounds likely she is reacting to something.

It could be urticaria, or something similar.

I would have a word with your Vet.

tinydestroyer likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

The only time I’ve seen something similar was on a horse that was over rugged and had been sweating copiously.

Tbh I’d have it checked by the vet as they might be able to prescribe something to calm it down.

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

Could it be sweet itch?

5. tinydestroyer

tinydestroyer PetForums Member

I agree that it could be urticaria. This article explains possible triggers, as well as the difference between heat rash (or heat induced urticaria,) and a reaction. Could be riding in a new area, or seasonal pollens. Personally, I'd keep an eye on it, and go to the vet if it worsens, won't clear up, or if the horse seems bothered by it. Hope it goes away quickly!

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/exclusive/causes-treatment-rashes-hh-vip-626701

MaggieDemi likes this.
  6. Ringypie

Ringypie PetForums VIP

Looks like urticaria to me too. Is she itchy? One on my yard got it as a reaction to wood pellet bedding. Really strange as she had used that bedding previously with no problems, and all the others are bedded on it with no problems. One vet visit and a change to shavings as a bedding and she has been fine ever since.

tinydestroyer likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice