Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please, girl kitten with another boy or girl??

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kezzy, Jul 29, 2009.

1. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Hi We currently have a 9week old female kitten and want to get her a playmate, do you think it matters whether we get another girl or boy kitten? Thanks

2. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

At 9 weeks no I wouldnt of thought it mattered much, I think I'd go for a boy though :) just my personal preference. good luck :)

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Boy or girl it doesn't matter, the key is to pick a kitten with the kind of temperament and personality that will complement your exisiting kitten.

4. amylou8

amylou8 PetForums Member

I don't think it matters too much especially as she is so young.

Mazie was 12 weeks when we got Mickey and she was very nervous, shy and kept to her own company. Mickey is the complete opposite and loves everybody and lots of attention. Mazie has been a completely different cat since we got him and has even started sitting on our laps, letting us pick her up and being a lot more affectionate!

I think when the are so young they find it much easier to get on and always find a common ground in playing!

5. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I don't think it makes any difference. My first two kittens were female, but my personal view is that males are more affectionate, girls more independent. Does depend o each individual kitten tho. Have fun!

6. kezzy

kezzy PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone! Just need to find a kitten now. :D

7. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Kezzy
    Where do you live. I am getting two kittens at the end of Aug, they are five weeks old and I think the lady still has two that need homes. Just thought I'd check where you are.

Also, I often read that you shouldn't have two boys together but have always had boys. Mind you, I think it makes a massive difference if they are together from the same litter. Also, if they are neutered they tend to fight less anyway. I am having a boy and a girl this time and I am worried that they may not be as close. All my brothers I have had have always had a very strong bond so hoping they will too!
    Sharon
    x

8. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

I don't think it really matters ;) i picked Taz out from Lindsay because he was more active then the girl :D now i have a match made in heaven :D Sweep was naughty before now i have 2 REALLY NAUGHTY KITTY'S :eek: :D xx

9. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

mY FIRST CATS WERE BOTH MALE ONE WAS A YEAR WHEN WE GOT OUR OTHER CAT THEY WERE BOTH NEUTERED AND BOTH WERE TOTALLY FINE WITH EACH OTHER AND WOULD CURL UP TOGETHER ON THE SEATEE. AT HER YOUNG AGE ID FEEL ANY WOULD BE FINE JUST BARE IN MIND AS YOUR MALE GETS OLDER THAT YOUR FEMALE WILL NEED TO BE NEUTERED ALONG WITH YOUR MALE IF NOT PLANNING TO BREED. AS FEMALES CAN STRAT TO CALL AS EARLY AS 6/8MONTHS.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Never heard of boys not together, they normally get on better than girls! girls run the show boys sit back and watch them!

11. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Two males will get along with each other provided they are neutered.

There would most certainly be a problem if they were left entire - even two from the same litter who get on extremely well initially will turn territorial when an adult and the hormones come into play. They then start to compete with each other and will start fighting - it is quite a frightening experience and the fur literally does fly. :eek:

You have to be careful when attempting to separate two fighting males as there is a high risk of being caught up in the argument and being badly injured yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice