Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please for 2 young kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dave2506, Jun 23, 2009.

1. dave2506

dave2506 PetForums Newbie

I everyone, first post on this forum and I'm hoping someone might be able to help. My wife and I are due to collect 2 kittens this Thursday and I need some clarification as to their feeding (i.e. how often, how much and what type etc).

They will be 9 weeks old when we get them and I am aware that they should be fed 4 meals a day up until they're 12 weeks and then 3 meals until they're 6 months. We plan to feed them a mixture of dry and wet food (James Wellbeloved for dry and Felix Kitten pouches for wet). From doing some reading I think I should have the dry food available to them all the time and then feed them meals of the wet food - however with the dry food being down all the time will they still need 4 meals a day of the wet food?

I've searched the internet for some answers to no avail so hopefully a more experienced hand will be able to advise on here :)

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Welcome to the site.
    You will find lots of info on here now you are going to be the proud owner of two kittys.:)
    I think what you have said is ok. 4 meals per day until they are 12 weeks and then on to 3 meals per day.
    Find out what they are being fed on now and feed them with the same.
    Kittens can often get an up set Tum, so it's best to keep them on the same food and then slowly introduce them to some thing else if you wish later.
    You can give then dry kitten food as well but only in small amounts and don't forget to put some water down for them.

Let us know how you get on.
    Don't for get to put some photos of them on here.
    We all love kitties on this site!!:wink5:

3. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

A little advice James wellbeloved is fine but Kitten Felix only has 4 % meat why not try Naturals menu's ( available at any p@h, online or local pet shops its actually 74% meat .. i wouldn't turn back now :thumbup:

4. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi, do you know whether they are currently eating wet or dry? If they arent used to the dry food they may well not eat it and will wait for the wet pouches. I would feed them the four pouches a day each and leave a little dry down for inbetween snacking if they want it.

If they have been weaned on dry then I would stick to it and maybe feed them one pouch a day to start with. Its a little different with kittens though, my 2 kitties are 2 and 4 years old and inbetween wet pouches they get at meal times there is dry down all day and if they get really hungry they will eat it but usually just wait until the next meal time is due as they favour wet over dry.

Just trial and error really, you will soon know if you are feeding too much / too little.

5. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Well, along with the dry food and wet food.... Once in a while, you could give them some tuna, or something like that, and maby a bit of milk, instead of milk, like once a week! This is what i used to do with my cats....

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, when i got my kittens we fed them felix kitten pouches and GoCat biscuits.
    We made sure there was biscuits down all the time and fed them 4 meals a day to start with then 3 like you said.
    Also, every 2nd friday was 'special food day' they got tuna or pilchards or something like that, and a little diluted milk.
    And even though I always made sure they had fresh water, they prefered the dog water.. or the toilet! Lol

7. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Hiya on the packets are just guidelines, you might find they eat double that in very small nibbles or half of it!

Keep them in one room, litter tray one side food / drink the other, and another bowl of water somewhere else, they like it away from there food!

oh and take lots pf piccis! :D

take a look at my website under kittens tips!

8. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i think it really depends on the kitten, when i got mine from a terrible breeder she had been feeding him adult cheap nasty meat and i weaned him off to proper kitten meat but he was having problems with it so i was told by the vet to switch him slowly to dry food and since i have he`s had no problems and i don`t think i`ll ever give him wet food again, other than the odd spoonful of applaws etc, he just reacts badly to it!

good luck with the new babies and i can`t wait to see pics :D

9. dave2506

dave2506 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all your replies and advice :)

They are currently being fed both dry and wet food so shouldn't hopefully be a problem with continuing with that. We have already bought some of the Felix pouches so will start them on that but will look into the other type you mentioned (the one with greater meat content) when we need to get some more. I did think that 4% meat didn't seem very much but just assumed it was the norm as Felix is a well known producer of cat food :rolleyes:

If it becomes clear that they are leaving the dry food in favour of the wet then we will have to change it slightly or maybe mix some of the dry food in with their wet.

My wife's told me that they're now arriving this evening (rather than tomorrow) so will try and post some pics up of them. She was trying to keep it as a surprise bless her but I told her I was supposed to be playing hockey this evening so she had to tell me :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice