Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice please! First time ferret owner...

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by vixtory, Jun 20, 2010.

1. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

Hi everyone, My name is Vicky and i`m just about to become a first time ferret owner. The problem i am having though is i`ve been doing alot of research into keeping ferrets and am finding that many websites give different information on how to care for them and they all seem to contradict each other.. eg: one website says fruit such has bananas, melon, grapes etc must be given has treats.. another website says defo no fruit.

I`m getting very confused tbh...

So i thought i`d come on here and ask the real experts because in my eyes all you ferret owners are the real experts!

Some questions i want to ask are,

1) Is it better to feed meat raw or cooked?

2) Fruit or no fruit?

3) Is it true that if you feed raw meat it encourages ferrets to bite?

4) Can ferrets live indoors or is it kinder to keep them outdoors? I want to keep mine indoors!

5) I have a pet rabbit that i keep indoors, will the smell of the rabbit turn my ferret nasty?

I think that about covers it lol...sorry if they seem like silly questions. I don`t really know much about ferrets, i do know though that my ferret ( Jill ) will have to be spayed before her first season otherwise it could lead to health problems!

I`m really grateful for any advice, thanks x

x Vicky x

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

1) Feed either raw meat or a complete dry food but not cooked meat. We feed raw meat through the winter and swap to dry through the summer to cut down on flies.
    2) The only fruit and veg our get is what is in whole prey animals they are fed.
    3) No
    4) If you are going to keep them inside I would have females and have them spayed then there will be virtually no smell.
    5) I dont know, all our rabbits are in the freezer

#2 hawksport, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  3. FourFerrets

FourFerrets PetForums Member

Cooked meat is ok, chicken, pork etc. Raw is good too if they will eat it (some won't) RAW bones (no cooked bones as they are likely to splinter).

NO processed meats , ham, bacon, sausages etc as they contain a lot of salt and other nasties.

NO fruit, they are carnivores. Some fruits can make them ill.

NO chocolate. There is a substance in chocolate that is poisonous to ferrets and dogs.

Raw meat WILL NOT make your ferrets bite more. Hungry ferrets may bite but it won't be because they are fed meat.

I keep four ferrets indoors, and they are fine. I put them outside sometimes in a run on a hard base, They are brilliant escape artists if they want to be. They need a fair bit of 'out of cage' time, but also sleep a lot to compensate :)

As for the bunny, they will probably be interested, and pet ferrets have been known to kill bunnies. The smell of the ferrets may upset the rabbit, But I know of several people that keep both ferts and buns with no mishaps or upsets :)

4. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

thanks for the replies.... i`m getting excited now lol. My jill ferret which i have decided to call Aphradite is due to arrive any minute now! My mum has just picked her up for me, she`s only 8 weeks old bless her x

5. rona

rona Guest

The only advice over that already given is to get another ferret, they just love to play and two are such fun together :D

6. poppydog1

poppydog1 PetForums Member

Congrats on the new ferret, we are new to ferrets and have had ours about 3 months we have a hob and a jill, ours live in a outdoor hutch, we feed them chudleys dry food and also chicken wings and any other raw we can get, so far we have not been bitten but our 2 are very soft, I must warn you they are very adictive 1 is never enough. Have fun.:thumbup:

7. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

I`ve got her now.... she`s mega cute! I`m going to get a proper indoor ferret cage for her.. When she first came home i put her in the old guineapig hutch in the garden. The old guineapig hutch is now sat in our living room lol, i just couldn`t leave her outside on her own. She`s very very shy but i`ve cuddled her and she didn`t seem to mind infact she got well snuggled down.. your right though, i`m already addicted!

8. rona

rona Guest

We need pictures ;)

9. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

only managed to get one pic atm coz she keeps hiding lol... i`ll try and up load it here, hope it works.. you can only see her head though poking out from under her blanket, well once you get passed the teddy dog that is lol!

10. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

and another pic, sorry not a very clear one...

11. carol

carol PetForums VIP

oh she is sweet agree with what everyone else has already put

12. rona

rona Guest

Lovely markings, she looks quite well grown.
    Are you going to go back for a litter mate? ;)

13. vixtory

vixtory PetForums Member

Its deceiving really hun coz she is very tiny... i`m abit concerned because she isn`t very steady on her legs! I`ve been told that that is normal for her age ( 8 weeks ) but surely not!

I`m not going to get another one though has much has i`d like to.... i`m at home all the time because i`m disabled ( part paralised ) so she has constant company from me! Been to look at some cages today though and think i`m going to go for the Degu cage... the ferret cage was really fancy and very nice, but it didn`t look very sturdy and although it was tall it wasn`t very wide... the Degu cage was wide, tall and sturdy.. and theirs loads of room to hang her toys from lol.
    Got her a snuggle pouch today and she loves it!

14. maloofly

maloofly PetForums Newbie

[QUOTE
    5) I have a pet rabbit that i keep indoors, will the smell of the rabbit turn my ferret nasty?

[/QUOTE]

i have 2 ferrets ( did have 3 but the mom died few weeks ago ) . and i did have two house rabbits and they all got on very well . a few times the ferrets have escaped into the garden and the rabbits use to corner them so they couldnt run off. now i know this doesnt happen with every ferret and rabbit but if u introduce ur ferret to the rabbit when he is young he will grow up thinking its a friend . but still stay in the room as you never know !!

15. Hayley86

Hayley86 PetForums Newbie

Hello
    i am a first time ferret owner aswell! i just got two yesterday from a shelter they are only 8 weeks old i have one jill and one hob (brother and sister), they play well together but when it comes to feeding time the jill will eat by the bowl but the hob will sneak bits of food and run off to another part of the cage to eat it, he is a bit smaller than her aswell,im worried that the jill is eating to much and the hob is not eating enough we have tried feeding them seperatly but he will still run off with bits of food to eat it in a corner, and he looses interest after a few mouth fulls, he nips a lot more than her aswell, could this just be nerves for being in a new place? also their poop is a bit runny, and its all different shades of brown! plus there was one big yellow poop in there?? at the moment we are feeding them duck and chicken cat food (because thats what they were eating in the shelter) and we are slowly introducing new foods to them ( raw chicken, raw eggs, other raw meats and ferret pellets)
    does anyone have any explanation about the little hobs behaviour? and with the poop is it normal for it to be gloopy? and what could the cause for the yellow poop? that was not runny by the way, do i need to take them to a vet for a check up?
    my little hob is called elwood (blues) and little jill is called rizzo
    any info would be great!
    Hayley xxx:confused1:

16. FourFerrets

As they are new to you, and probably eating different things, their poo is likely to be a little off as it's a stressy situation for them (I don't mean mega stressed out, but things are now different to what they are used to).
    Good ferret poo consistency could be described as brown toothpaste.

The little hob running off with food is quite normal. A lot of ferrets like to eat in private, as long as there is enough ferret kibble down that they don't empty the bowl in one go, he will be getting enough. He may even be comfortable with a feeding box. Basically a box with a hole in that he can go in and eat.

Raw meat can be on the bone, chicken wings etc. It may be easier for them if the chicken wing is cut into 4 or so pieces, easier for them to chomp on.

Ferrets are lactose intolerant, but you can buy lactose free milk, or cat milk is sold in small cartons (cats are lactose intolerant too) Too much can still cause undesirable poo lol

Raw egg is ok occasionally, I wouldn't feed more than one a week split between the 2 though.

With patience his nipping will lessen, maybe he was handled less than his sister, maybe he is testing his new surroundings. A lot of people recommend kits have full bellies before handling.

17. Hayley86

thanks for that! im a lot less worried now! cheers xx :thumbup:

18. Hayley86

hello, my ferrets poop is REALLY runny! what can i feed them to make it more solid??

19. FourFerrets

Ferret kibble.
    If it doesn't clear up a vet is best.

20. mandiibabez

mandiibabez PetForums Junior

she looks like a cutie. can i just ask is she in sawdust in that hutch?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice