Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice please.. especially breeders

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xkeeleyx, Jul 19, 2009.

1. xkeeleyx

xkeeleyx PetForums Junior

my partner posted earlier but didnt really tell all the story.. so here goes...

to cut a long story short i selt a rabbit when i was workin alot and totally REGRETTED it. the woman that bought her accidently left the cage open and she got out and got pregnant by a neighbours rabbit. she had 6 babies, 2 died and due to inexperience she chewed some of them whilst cleaning or so ive been told by people on here. they are now 5 week old. for example, 1 only has 3 legs, 1 has no ears, 1 as half an ear and the other and the other 1 is ok. they are all really healthy and active and just seem like any other rabbit. do u think that these things will change any of the rabbits lives?

anyway.. iv ended up buying the rabbit and the babies back as it was a great oppertunity since iv regretted it ever since.

also, the woman bought a 10 week old baby herself which is now 15 weeks old. which iv also ended up looking after until she can find a home for it as she was selling it seperately. iv just rung her and asked her what sex it is and she said she didnt know, iv done some careful reading on trhe internet and have now sexed all the babies and the older rabbits. the 15week old one is a boy! so now i am worrying that maybe that one could get my older girl? would this be possible at this age? I REALLY DONT EVER WANT THIS TO HAPPEN AGAIN,as lovely as the babies are, it shouldnt have happened.

also, is it ok to keep 2 boys together or 2 girls? do they fight or are you better off with one of each sex? nothing to do with the above.. just a general question...

thankyou sooo much in advance.

2. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

My last rabbit had a deformity in both its front legs and he got around just fine but im not sure about three legs, it might make them slow but as long as they can get around they should have a relativly normal life.

i know a rabbit that had one of its ears bitten off as a baby, and it does get a lot of ear infections, it needs regular cleaning and antibiotics, something begining with B i think. it is relativly cheap and the vet has been giving it a a repeat perscription, the vets initially siad she would be better put to sleep because the infections would keep occuring but she can go 6 months without an infection and she is now almost 4 years old i think and a very happy bunny.

2 girls/boys can live together if they are paired up young but it would probably be advisable to get them both neutered to be on the safe side. as they may fight when they get older

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

What a mess :(

Right first off you need to find out from a vet what sex the 15 week old is, has he been in with your rabbit? He shouldnt be anywhere near her or the babies. Why did this woman buy a rabbit 5 weeks ago only to sell it??? :confused:

You will need help to rehome these babies i suspect you can get in touch with your local rescue so that they can help or go to the forum on the rabbit reascue site and get some help from the guys that rescue there, they are very experienced and know people that home special need or disabled buns. www.rabbitrehome.org.uk

You need to get your girl spayed as soon as you have weaned the babies at 8 weeks. 2 boys or 2 girls can get on its more differcult with bucks but both usually have to be from the same litter for it to work and MUST be neutered.

You need to deside whether you have enough time for your rabbits or whther to rehome them to a decent home once they are neutered. Buns live for over 10 years in some cases and are a longterm commitment so please think it through.

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I would advice getting in touch with your vet and local animal rescue, all the babies should be checked over by your vet to be sexed and should be separated from opposite sexes about 10 weeks depending on breed.

The baby buns will need very good/experienced homes and I think only a rescue centre would be able to find these. You would not be able to keep them unless you want to have them all neutered (£65 ish) and vaccinated (£30 ish) at least yearly, it is a big financial comitment, plus cages and runs.

There is no point trying to sell the baby buns on, because without an experience or very good home they will suffer from possible infections as mentioned and miss handling.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice