Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice Please - cavalier KC spaniels

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by stellab, Aug 12, 2009.

1. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

Hi

My mum and dad's border collie went to rainbow bridge last year after spending a happy 11 years with them.

They are now looking for a new puppy to join them and are looking towards a King charles cavalier spaniel :) They are both 65 yrs old and obviously do not want a strong / hyper breed.

Any info on the king charles would be appreciated and also if anyone could pm me a reputable breeder in scotland that would be great :D

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I had a cavalier and they are great family dogs, and very loyal. They do have health problems though, so it is recommended to get a puppy from a very reputable breeder who only breeds from dogs that don't have heart problems and have passed health tests. Mine lived to 14 years, and she only had a heart problem (which was controlled by medication) for the last year of her life. Must recommend lifetime insurance for this breed.

3. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

Thanks for the info, I will pass it on to mum and dad ;)

They are a bit scared to go down the free ads sites route incase they end up at a puppy mill or even scammed.

They appear to be quite hard to find :confused:

4. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hi stella

If you are looking for a reputable breeder can i suggest you look at this link

Find Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies • The Kennel Club

also it would help if you checked with the breed clubs too...contacts are here

Find Cavalier King Charles Spaniel puppies • The Kennel Club

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

6. stellab

stellab PetForums Junior

Thanks for the link.. I have phoned Mr Stewart ( mrs stewart wasn't in ) and he has given me a number of Mrs Bailley who keeps the puppy register.

Thanks again :)

7. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Cavaliers are lovely little dogs but there is a problem with the breed and this should be considered before getting one.
    If you were to go for this breed you really should check all health test results for the parents.
    YouTube - Documentary BBC Pedigree Dogs Exposed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice