Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on whippets please

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Stellabelly, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

Hi

I'm new here and found the site when I was looking for a forum where someone could give me some advice.

I have a 2 year old Jack Russell bitch. She is so good natured - likes all dogs and all people. I also have a cat who is anywhere between 14 and 16 years old (a rescue cat so not sure of exact age). He is beautiful too and is a house cat. He had a bit of a hard time when we first got the dog as she used to chase him incessantly and play quite roughly with him. She does still have her moments where she chases him and is a bit rough but it is only now and again and he does sometimes chase her:).

My dilemma is that I would like to get a whippet pup. Any advice on which would be best with my JR bitch - a dog or bitch? If brought into the house as a pup would it be ok with the cat? Can they live happily with cats? Would my JR and a whippet gang up on him and the pack instinct kick in? I really don't want him hurt?

Any advice anyone please.

Thanks

2. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

awww i've got russells and a whippet ,i would have thought a whippet would be softer on the cat ,but a puppy is a puppy at the end of the day

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Hi

If your JR is a bitch you would be better of with a dog 2 bitches will fight for dominance especially of your JR is dominant. They don't always but if you get 2 dominant bitches together they will fight for dominance so it is safer to have a dog and bitch and have the bitch speyed and the dog castrated if you don't intend to show him.

I have 10 whippets 5 males and 5 bitches only 1 male is castrated but I am lucky my bitches are either related or are not dominant. Tegan is my dominant bitch and the others respect her.

If you introduce it as a pup and teach it not to chase a cat then yes it will be fine with the cat. My mum has a JR dog a whippet bitch and a cat and they all get on fine. I would say go for a show bred rather than a working/ racing bred as they are far more laid back. If your cat is used to dogs and does not run from them then the whippet would not chase it. But be warned your cat may be your whippets best friend but other cats that may come into your garden or you see when walking along the road will be classed as fair game:eek:

Patterdale_lover likes this.
  4. Stellabelly

Thank you so much for your replies. Stella (JR) is so good with all dogs. I look after my sisters 2 bitches when she goes on holiday and they all get along fine, though I did think a dog may be better as a full time friend for her.

As for the cat I think he may run from a puppy which he did with Stella but as she's got older he stands his ground a bit. I was just worried that the pack instinct could kick in with 2 of them, though I note your advice re: a show-bred one as it may not have quite as much as of the hunting instinct.

Thanks again.

5. kelly

kelly PetForums Member

I think it's easier to introduce a puppy to a household with a cat rather than a cat to a household with a dog/pup.

we had a cat and dog at the same time then introduced a pup and he was fine (just had to teach him that the cat is a friend not a toy!) our cat then got run over last year and i have recently taken on a rescue indoor cat and she has not settled in well!

i think you'll be fine and my cousin has just got 2 whippet pups and they are sweet although a bit mad!

6. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I have 5 hound dogs 3 whippets and 2 whippet x and all my girls are great with each other some come from show lines and some come from working lines and 1 has even come from a working home and all my girls are great with my 2 cats,but out in the fields thats a differnent game my girls will chase rabbits etc but have never catched anything

Also anyone elses cats they will also chase but that hound dogs for you

My cats sometime even come on a walk with my dogs will have to find a picture for you

I wish you luck finding your puppy

7. Stellabelly

I'm getting more convinced by the day :)

I'd love to see some pics of your cats going for a walk with your dogs.

I have also been told whippets are difficult to housetrain? Are they any more difficult than any other dog? Is this a tale such as all JRs are nasty - I've had 2 and my mum had one and they have all been fab dogs!!

I shall be looking properly in a couple of months. Thanks everyone:)

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Whippets are no harder than any other pup to house train.

I can't find any photos of my cat with my whippets as I lost most of my photos when my laptop crashed but this is Gizmo pinching my greyhounds food. He chased William away from the food and then ate it all.

[​IMG]

Gizmo is a semi feral cat that adopted us. He doesn't often come into the house but when he does he bullies my hounds.

Just wandreing what area are you in?

9. Stellabelly

I live in Milton Keynes.

That pic is soooo sweet...

When I was with my ex we had a JR and a gorgeous big daft deerhound. The deerhound never chased the cat though I did find him with one of my hens in his mouth one day. It was unhurt - he was incredibly soft-mouthed. This is why I thought that maybe a whippet could be ok with the cat.

I currently have my cat trying to sit on my laptop:) And a jealous JR trying to sit on top of him!! :)

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you had a whippet it would be sitting on top of the lot of them:D

The reason I asked were you are is because it is the hound association show on august 1st but it is at stafford. There will be hundreds of whippets there to see but it will most likely be too ar for you to come and I think the generalpublic have to pay to get in.

#10 Freyja, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  11. Stellabelly

I don't mind paying to get in but is a bit of a trek for us.

Would be a good opportunity to introduce Stella to whippets though she is so good with all dogs. The only time she is a bit funny is if one starts on her - understandable I suppose...

Though when I do get a whippet pup I will make sure she comes along to meet it before committing.

12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i have a male whippet who lives with 7 cats perfectly fine I got him as a puppy one cat dosent like him and thats where he learnt to respect them they dont bother him if he dosent bother them. all i can say is keep reminding the pup not to chase they are fast learners. Ive just recently got a papillon and hes great with him too.

13. Stellabelly

Blimey that's a lot of cats!!

I managed to educate my JR Stella not to chase the cat though it did take a long time. She used to watch him and you could almost read her - being so tempted to chase him and then she would bound at him, roll him over, stand on him and bite his head and legs. Never seemed to hurt him though but it did look very rough.

She will still chase him and grab him if the mood takes her and she does get very excited when doing so. This is why I was concerned that the pack instinct might kick in with 2 of them, especially a JR and a whippet as they both have the hunting instinct, though I am feeling reassured after reading all the posts.

14. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

If you were to go to the hound show you wouldn't be able to take Stella with you They only allow entered dogs into the show ground. You have to have passes to take dogs in and out of the show ground.

If you had a 8/9 week old whippet pup then you would be able to easily train it not to chase the cat. To be honest mine have never chased Gizmo unless he is in the back garden which is their territory and that was my fault Gizmo jumped over the fence as I let the dogs out and they didn't realise it was him is was just a cat in their garden. A cat will quite quickly put a even the most pushy whippet puppy in its place. If you go to a breeder and have a young puppy rather than having a rescue you will not have many problems at all teaching it not to chase the cat. As for acting a sa pack well I have 10 whippets and they just don't bother. OK the younger ones would probably push their luck but Gozmo hasn't been around for a while so the don't really know him but he dissappeared once for 18 months. A man in a pub across the road was 'collecting' cats and shuting them in the upstairs rooms of the pub. It was only when the pub was closed that Gizzie returned and we found out what had happened. The whippets welcomed him back like a long missing pack member and curled up with him to sleep.

15. Stellabelly

What a thing to do. Take people's cats and shut them in!!
    I'm so glad you got him back. I would imagine you thought he'd gone forever.
    What a very strange person to do such a thing!!

16. Stellabelly

Ooh one more question.

I have also read that it is advisable not to let a whippet off the lead because they can chase things and do not have a very good sense of direction and can get lost permanently.

I have seen people walking them off lead. Surely they can be trained to recall though I do understand theat they may take off after a rabbit. If you can walk them off lead what is the best age to start?

Thanks

17. terriermaid

terriermaid PetForums Senior

mine goes off lead all the time ,but i must admit she like a full speed run before she settles into walking but im lucky to have space around me ,i think i let her off as soon as she started going for proper walks, in fact i find her recall really good compared to my terriers!!!! shes a bit clingy so rarly runs 100yds before she turns round ,have a look on k9 community and decide what type you fancy ie working/racing/showing

18. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

mine walks fine off the leader he walks right beside me and waits till i throw a ball then hes after it and then comes back. when he wqas a puppy i used to throw a ball in the garden and then shout his name and when he got back to me he got treats and praise now he does it automatically. I know whippets like to chace things but as i pup when i knew blaze wanted to chase something and i didnt want him to id say leave in a stern voice and he wouldnt chase.

19. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My lot also run free.As I live in the middle of the town we don't really have anywere to free run them I have the use of the works car park at the weekend to run them. They all have good recalls although the pups do go through a stage when they suffer from severe selective deafness but after a few months they usually remember what a recall is.

My mums whippet is always of lead she is also stock broken as my sisters boyfriends parents has a farm in Wales and they often go there at the weekends with the dogs.

20. Stellabelly

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice.
    Will definitely be getting a whippet in the next couple of months. I'll keep you posted!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice