Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on weird wee issue

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Pixie2010, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

Before I take a trip to the vets was wondering if anyone had an opinion. My 12 week old Shih Tzu Pixie has started licking her girly bits after every wee and has also started to lick the wee from the floor/grass where she has been. Is this just disgusting doggy behaviour, should I trim the hair in the area or could it indicate an infection?? She is drinking normally. Many thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

Pick up a sample and go to the vets. urine is one off the indicators of ill health, best to check.
    Hopefully it will be nothing

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

I agree,a wee test should be done to rule out any infection.
    Some more hairy dogs do this to keep clean,they dont like wet/wee fur! also make sure she is getting plenty to drink.

4. Rock Star

Rock Star Banned

Hmm..!!! you what i think and would say that you have to make a detail test of her..

5. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

Definately worth getting her checked out but also worth being aware that it may be a habit that she has learnt from her mum - the bitch licks the pups rear area to stimulate urinating & defacating in the early weeks.

Copraphagia (abnormal eating habit) is not uncommon in young puppies for this reason.

6. Alison-Jane

Alison-Jane PetForums Newbie

My male shih tzu puppy has always had a little lick of his wee off the pavement when he has finished....but not off the grass though.

7. Pixie2010

Pixie2010 PetForums Senior

Thanks for your responses. May give her a trim downstairs and see if that helps. She is fine in herself - hoovering up food and drinking fine so will watch and wait.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice