Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Advice on weaning kittens after reading the post on T/b

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kelzcats, Apr 9, 2019.

1. kelzcats

kelzcats PetForums Member

Hi Everyone,

I need some general advice on weaning kittens, I have always weaned my kittens on N/I kitten and puppy chicken weaning paste.

But after reading the post on T/b contracted by feeding raw venison it has totally put me off raw feeding, as I wouldn't want to put my babies at risk.

What foods would you recommend weaning my babies on?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I start mine on Royal Canin babycat mousse and then Nature's Menu kitten. I do still feed raw but haven't bought from Natural Instinct for a long time. I get mine from Nurturing by Nature. If you did want to wean onto raw Purrform do a double mince which is suitable for young kittens. I do understand your reasons not to though.

kelzcats likes this.
  3. kelzcats

Thank you lymorelynn, and at what age do you start your kittens on the Royal Canin babycat mousse? What raw do you purchase from Nurturing by Nature? It has really scared me reading that post.

4. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have fed my cats a mainly raw diet for a very long time and will continue to do so. We use Kiezebrink minced rabbit.

The main drawback I have found weaning kittens onto raw is that I often struggle to get them to eat other foods (not ideal for many owners) and as a result for the last few years I have fed a fair bit of Animonda Carny kitten. They all seem to really enjoy it and I think it's very reasonable quality for the cost.

kelzcats, lymorelynn and Raggie08 like this.
  5. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I start at around four weeks but they're often not ready for another week or two.
    Most of the Nurturing by Nature that I buy is chicken based with added offal like liver and heart. It does have some pieces of bone that can get stuck round teeth especially with kittens so I don't give them that until later.

6. Raggie08

Raggie08 PetForums Member

@lymorelynn is RC mousse easy to buy now as our local stockists no longer stock it x

7. lymorelynn

Staff Member

I'm fortunate that my local pet shop stocks it but you can get it online from a few places

Raggie08 likes this.
  8. kelzcats

Thanks gskinner

The minced rabbit seems to be similar in price as the N/I so will possible give it a go as well as the Animonda Carney Kitten.
    Is the rabbit really minced as I don't like the bone shards?

9. gskinner123

It's quite 'mushy' and well minced but it does have small pieces of bone. I did pick through it with my fingers to try to establish just how much bone and potentially how big the pieces and I found nothing that would concern me, feeding it to, say, four week old kittens. But for anyone who worries about bone in raw food, there's no getting away from the fact that it does contains small bone pieces.

By contrast I did used to find there was a lot of bone in the NI minces, though it is a very long time since I used it.

I don't think the quality of any of the NI minces comes close to Kiezebrink.

10. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

It's easy to buy online though prices vary

Raggie08 likes this.
  11. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

RC have an online breeder program (Pro Shop) in most countries with special pricing on their products.

Raggie08 likes this.
  12. Raggie08

Fab thank you Xx

13. Raggie08

Found some on Bitiba, not sure on how good the website is though. Our local pet store stopped selling it the same as Arden Grange x

14. OrientalSlave

Bitba are fine. Waitrose Pet have it as well, no idea how the price compares.

Raggie08 likes this.
  15. Raggie08

A couple of £ difference so not to bad actually. It’s around £16 for 12 cans.

16. OrientalSlave

Sounds about right.

17. kelzcats

Thanks gskinner how do you serve the raw rabbit to the kittens?

18. gskinner123

I just leave it out (of the fridge where it is already thawed) for ten minutes to get up to room temperature. I do limit amounts that I feed, whether canned or raw, and kittens at 4/5 from weaning would only get approx a teaspoon or so of rabbit to start with.

19. kelzcats

Can I ask why you limit the food to a teaspoon and Is that a teaspoon each? Have you used the Animonda pate?

20. gskinner123

Yes, I start with a teaspoon each and only slowly increase the amount. I started feeding a 3.5 week old litter this morning which is sooner than I would usually offer food but they are clearly hungry. When you look at a teaspoonful size portion of food, it's actually a reasonable amount for such little kittens

In my experience, over feeding very young kittens can cause loose stools and I prefer to take it slowly. I also don't feed the often quoted five to six small meals per day, j just think it's too much (I don't feed biscuit to kittens or leave wet food down).

I do use the Animonda kitten pate from about six weeks...it seems to go down very well!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice