Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on this kitty

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by thefiresidecat, Feb 11, 2019.

1. thefiresidecat

thefiresidecat PetForums Junior

https://ring.com/share/6656642268724281517

this kitty has come to our door a few times before but I cannot believe a cat with a home is out on a night like tonight. it's mid to low thirties with melting snow we've had some rain and more snow .. is there anything a cat would be attracted to that we could put out to keep him warmer or is it just a thing where there survival instincts will keep them away from hanging out near a strange humans house for too long? we just feel horrible for the poor thing.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@thefiresidecat - he/she looks sleek and well fed to me. He will keep coming back as long as you keep putting out food.

That looks like a big plate of food. I would be furious if one of my neighbours put out food for one of my cats. My cats are not out all night but they do wander around outside for 10 minutes in the evenings, (their choice) even when the temperature is at freezing point.

Have you tried to trace the cat's owner? e.g. asked your neighbours?

Gallifreyangirl and kittih like this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Most cats have excellent insulation from their fur and are more than comfotable out in the cold, especially if they have a cosy home to go back to whenever they want. Mine would happily wander about in snow freezing conditions or windy weather though rain was not as tempting. Their coats were waterproof and weather proof. They had access to the outside whenever they wanted via a cat flap. My girl would happily eat anything someone put put for her and act half starved even if she had had a good meal moments before.

It would be a good idea to find out whether your neighbours know who owns the cat. A paper collar put around the cats neck asking the owner r to call you might also be a good idea.

Shrike likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice