Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on rough collie grooming

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Cindygirl1, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Cindygirl1

Cindygirl1 PetForums Junior

Hi, can anyone tell me if a flexi-brush is good or bad to use on a rough collie? I'm slowly grooming my girl myself as she Hates it, but slowly with lords of patience and loads of treats she is now tolerating it for some of the time and not trying to 'kill' the brush (or my hand). I'm using a pin brush and a bristle brush and comb, but she hates the slicker brush and rake, I was wondering if the flexi brush might be better. If any one that grooms rough collies can advise me that would be great. I know I still have a way to go but slowly I think I'll get there.

2. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

If there is a type of Furminator that works on long haired dogs, that might be worth checking out. Certainly the one marketed for short haired breeds is fab.

3. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

i prefer the pin brush i do have a furmintaor that i do use on my spayed bitch. I wouldn't use a furminator for weekly groomong only when dog is moulting heavily.how old is your dog?

4. Cindygirl1

Hi my girl is nearly 20 months and she is spayed. Are the furminator a good then? I'm only using a pin brush and bristle brush now.

5. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Have you had her groomed professionally? The dead hair on a rough collie can get very easily matted into the top coat and brushing it will just pull them and cause pain and discomfort which could be why she is trying to bite the brush.

To tell if it is matted, you need to part the coat and look at the skin. If there is lots of greyish fuzzy hair (this is the dead undercoat) try to comb it out right from the base. If your comb won't come through it it is matted and she needs to go to a groomer to have it removed.

I would stick to a long pin slicker brush. I'm not sure what a flexi brush is, is this what you mean? If so then I would say that is fine.

To brush, I would start at the back, lift the coat up by stroking the dog backwards and gently brush the fur back down with the slicker, and work your way over the dog. That way you can make sure you get to the base of the coat because a lot of owners brush the top coat and don't realise the base is all matted because it is so thick. The comb is ideal for finishing off and identifying any knots you have missed.

6. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Don't use a furminator on a Rough Collie I found it broke my Rough Collies top coat.

With a Rough Collie you are looking at keeping the thick undercoat as well as the top coat tangle free and tidt.

To get your collie used to grooming start with a long walk so he/she is nice and tired and relaxed.
    Have the collie lay on their side with you kneeling by them. I found facing the TV helped as you can watch you favourite program and groom. This means you aren't rushing and your dog is nice and relaxed. They quickly learn the theme tune is relaxing grooming time.

Start by watching the program and running your hands and fingers over the dog do it in a slow steady relaxing manner, lots of treats and praise. Groom through the coat using fingers only, part the coat so you can get to the undercoat. Practice until your dog relaxes.

Stage 2 get a Denman hairbrush
    Denman - D4 Large 9 row styling brush

Part small sections of the coat and groom each small section with the Denman. get the dog used to this.

Stage 3 once the dog is happy at Denman grooming Progress to grooming with the Denman and then a comb, through my preference was a horses main comb plus a wide toothed metal dog comb. Using the point of the comb to break up any knots or a matt comb.

Stage 4 Once you can do all of the above with a happy relaxed dog progress to being able to use an undercoat rake for times when the dog is moulting heavily.

Trim excess hair on the paws. In winter I used to trim off a small amount of hair on the backs of the ankle (for want of a better term). tidy around the anus to make sure no poo gets caught in the coat.

All this sounds a lot but I used to Denman and comb or undercoat rake once a week and give a daily flick through with a pin slicker. Grooming session 30 minutes perhaps do one side one night and the other side the next.

Knots mainly form between the legs and body, chest and around the neck.

A big help for loosening undercoat is a warm bath or shower.

To help with grooming I used a conditioning coat spray.

To begin getting your dog used to grooming it seems a big commitment but there is so much less dirt and dog hair at home its worth it.

My collie would even sit by the bathroom sink to have his teeth brushed.

Join the Rough Collie Facebook group you will gain much help with this incredible breed. Once you have had a Rough Collie you will be in love with the breed forever. I'm very envious of your joy.

7. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

To brush, I would start at the back, lift the coat up by stroking the dog backwards and gently brush the fur back down with the slicker, and work your way over the dog. That way you can make sure you get to the base of the coat because a lot of owners brush the top coat and don't realise the base is all matted because it is so thick. The comb is ideal for finishing off and identifying any knots you have missed.[/QUOTE]

This is a perfect description of how to part and groom the sections, only I use the Denman for the main grooming session and not the slicker my dog always found it more comfortable.

#7 Picklelily, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

and when you have groomed her, I want piccies desperately !! from a rough collie addict

9. Cindygirl1

Thank you for helping me with grooming my girl, she has always hated being brushed, and I had been taking her to a groomers. She always got so stressed so since December I have been working with her everyday, and now she 'tolerates the grooming.! I have been doing ok but when she is in molt no mater how much I do, line brushing with slicker and comb, the next day she has the grey fuzz undercoat as though I have not groomed her for days. I'm hoping practice will make perfect, or maybe I need a better slicker brush??. Anyway thank you for your help.

10. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

There will always be the grey undercoat - a rough collie is double coated. The undercoat sheds to allow new growth. The aim is to keep the coat knot/mat free.

11. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Attached is a picture of my Rough Collie Dodgem from a couple of years ago sadly he died last February aged 12, I miss him every day.

If you are struggling with matted undercoat I have recently bought a coat King for my Wire haired fox terrier's coat. She too hates being groomed but she loved the coat king, so much so I think I may have thinned the coat a bit too much :001_unsure:

Anyway I did think the coat King would have been good too thin Dodgems thick undercoat around his neck and shoulders. Obviously I haven't used it on a Rough Collie but if you are desperate its worth a try.

They do always have that thick grey undercoat though and as long as its matt free its fine. It always amazed me how cool he stayed even with it in summer, although we did wet the undercoat on very, very hot days.

Attached Files:

12. Cindygirl1

Your boy look very handsome, he has the same colouring of Lassie. Thank you for your help and advice, I'm working on a section at a time with Lassies coat so I don't get her 'fed up and cranky' lol, I know she's shedding her winter coat now but I am able to keep it mat free although its work in progress! And I am getting the comb through it but as I said I'm working in sections but since December with patience and LOTS of treats she has come along way from the snappy girl she was.

13. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Ohh your girl is very similar and beautiful. It sounds as if you are doing really well. I really envy you your Rough Collie girl enjoy her lots they are wonderful dogs. At such a young age they do get wriggly for grooming, my boy didn't grow up until nearly 3.

Edit: I forgot to say a warm shower and shampoo really helps when they are shedding winter coat it seems to loosen that undercoat a lot.

#13 Picklelily, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  14. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

your dodgem is lovely and very sorry you haven't got him anymore and yes you are right they are beautiful dogs, nothing to beat them. thank you for the photo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice