Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Raw Food diet!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Staysee, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

OK so....one of our youngest cats [about 18months old now] has always been smaller then his brother but he's not putting on any weight at all, he's always skinny and doesnt eat half as much as the other 3 cats.

He'll eat shop bought chicken [cooked from the counter] or the pre packed cooked meats like chicken pieces or turkey slices etc etc

But when it comes to cat food, he is such a fussy fussy eater, sometimes he'll sit and eat alot, but then wont eat properly for the next 2 days....prefering to lick the jelly or gravy!

We've tried him on the cheapest food to expensive stuff, but nothing has really made him eat like a horse....so i think maybe its time we try something totally different and seeing as he loves chicken, turkey etc etc maybe we could try him on a more healthier approach then supermarket cooked chicken and try him with a raw diet to see how he likes that.

He's still a fiesty little bugger though, but he's barely grown at all....unlike his brother who eats like its going out of fashion but is still highly active, they both are, but anyways!

So if people could give me whatever they know about this subject, maybe if theres good links as my parents want to read into it too before we decide if we're gonna try this with him

Any other ideas are welcomed on how to get a cat to start eating properly, we have had him and his brother since they were around 8weeks old and he's never properly eaten from the start, except for again the cooked chicken or pre packed cooked meat

2. Dante

Dante PetForums VIP

This is the thread to read :)

http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/111455-thinking-about-raw-feeding-basic-guide.html

Should be enough there to give you some ideas to get you started. A 'convenient' way to feed raw (if you don't feel up to making your own batches) would be to try them on raw minces, Darlings, Natural Instinct and Raw to Go offer these and they are supposedly complete :)

I could be completely wrong here, but the fact you say he doesn't appear to grow much could fall in line with what he has been eating - Cooked chicken and supermarket meats won't be giving him the nutrients he requires to thrive. Like I said, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong!

3. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

No I think youre right Dante, I cant imagine it will be. I assume cooking removes some nutrients hence the good qualities of raw?

I would stop feeding the human foods and only leave down cat food, so he stops relying on that as a food. I feed a little dog mince from PAH alongside my catfood and they love that, its about 75p for a pack so a good thing to try them on to see if he likes raw. This is also not complete so if he does like it you will need to move onto one of the brands listed by Dante.

What was he eating at the 'breeders', and when did you start to change the brands? Have you tried Zooplus? They stock a much wider range than pet stores in the UK.

Whne feeding raw you need to make sure you have all the right ratios or muscle and offal etc, and it can look alittle daunting to a newbie! The preprepared ones are an easy inlet and make sure your cat gets all her needs.

4. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

He only gets supermarket meats as a treat and its the only food he wholfs down....its a treat for all of them, it hasnt stopped his brother tho who is double his size easily, helps he has longer fur but when you pick them up you can feel the difference....jenson you feel a belly and strength....but lewis you feel ribs....

5. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Just out of curiosity do you know how much he weighs?

6. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Like i said in the other quoted post XD [thought it nicer to quote you both! XD

Cooked meat is only a treat for them, his brother and the other two...he's the first cat we've had that hasnt grown properly and we've had 5 cats from kittens and 1 from a few years old and its only him that hasnt grown, maybe he was the runt in the litter, thats what im thinking

We dont know what they were fed from birth as we adopted them from a rescue, they were taken is as around 12 week old brothers because the lady had too many cats and since these were the newest, she handed them over....though at the vets like a week later he said they were more 8 weeks old

From the start we fed what the rescue had fed them [they were only at the rescue for just over 24 hours tho....enough to be treated for worms and deflead]

But they never ate properly through the stress of the upheavle they'd gone through, so vet advise us on fish like coley and just plain chicken, which settled thier tummies and we gradually got them back onto kitten food and then onto cat food

Like i said his brother, bloody monster.....but him......not so much, he's still proper fiesty tho, he's got like small cat syndrome, he's small but dont mess with him! hahaha

I shall look into zooplus, we're willing to try anything!

Thank you :)

7. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

I think the last time i weighed him it was under 10 pounds, but if you'll excuse me for one minute, i'll go weigh him now!

8. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Lewis is 9 Pounds and he's around 18months old

9. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

So that's just over 4kg....I guess that is a little small for a tom cat. Have you ever tried him with raw scraps before? I think a good place to start is chicken or turkey, when I first gave it to my kitten he nearly took my hand off!!

10. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

No, never tried with any raw scraps!

Im guessing its best if your gonna feed raw scraps to get a good quality meat from a butchers and not a supermarket

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I think it's also worth pointing out that even if he does put on weight, he could just not be as big as his brother. Cats come in different shapes and sizes just like us :)

Sooty was the runt of the litter, but when he was at his best he wighed about 10 pounds, now he is roundabout 9, which is skinny for him. He is a huge moggy though!

12. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

His brother weighs....11-12pounds

And our largest cat, a tom cat....he's over a stone in weight

But our only female, she's about 10 pounds if i remember rightly

13. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Ermm...well if you are just trying it out, it doesn't really matter. I buy chicken wings from the supermarket and Loki has one a week for his teeth. :D But at this point I wouldn't worry too much about the source of the meat. If you get properly into raw feeding, you may find it difficult to source everything you need from the supermarkert and may have to go to butchers.

14. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Yeah, i understand he may never ever be a large cat, the area we live is basically cat central and we see all different shapes and sizes, but none as small as lewis!

15. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Bones and all?!

16. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

If your other cats weigh as much as they do, he technically isn't small :D What breeds are your other cats?

I always think everybody elses cats are small as Sooty is so big, I'm used to seeing him that size so in comparison all the other kitties are teeny! :)

17. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Oh yeh, cats need the bones for calcium if you are feeding raw!! He can't get through the whole lot though, but he has a good go. :)

18. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

They are all moggies, we dont know the history of any of them as the eldest female was from a pet shop [think she's 17 this year] and she's always been the size she is for years now

Jack the big big male, we got him at 6 months old from a rescue center and he was TINY for a 6month old.....but by 18months to 24months he just turned into a real big cat

Then the brothers who were taken to a rescue cos thier owner couldnt look after them properly

19. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

Well im at work tomorrow so when i finish i'll buy him some chicken wings, i know his brother will eat it, his brother will eat ANYTHING...cat food, human food....birds, mice, voles.....he'll eat them all! haha

20. Chez87

Chez87 PetForums VIP

Just to point out, presenting him with a chicken wing may be a bit daunting if he isn't used to raw food. Even my boy can't eat the WHOLE thing and he has been fed partly raw since he was a kitten. You might want to start off maybe with some turkey mince, or chunks of chicken breast. :) Just to see what he thinks of it!

Also at first I had to cut the meat a little bit on the chicken wing to show him what to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice