Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Nuetured/non Nuetured cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Hannah Berry, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Hannah Berry

Hannah Berry PetForums Newbie

Hi!

Really hoping someone could help me!

I have two male cats. Known each other since kittens but separated for approximately 3 months and now re-introduced.

They are both now indoor cats, long story but Pablo had to have 2 life saving surgeries after being shot with an air rifle so its our preference to keep them indoors.

Pablo is Nuetured and Diego hasn't been yet. We have every intention to have him Nuetured but haven't yet due to a move, paying for surgery, work commitments etc. I've read a lot on unnuetered cats showing aggression etc .. but in our case it seems to be the opposite!

Diego is soft, always has been he's currently unnuetered but shows no interest in fighting with pablo. Pablo (Nuetured) is showing signs of what seems to be either fighting, or aggressive play fighting. Often ripping fur out of Diego. We've tried introducing slowly, keeping them separate while at work. At the moment we're keeping them in the same room for an hour or so a day and using a water gun/spray to try and correct any aggressive behaviour Pablo shows but it only seems to work to an extent. And now he seems to be getting used to the water

I'm trying to figure out what is doing it.. at first we thought maybe it was Pablo
    envious of Diego still being in tact.. but thought surely with him being Nuetured this will have helped any sort of territorial behaviour? Will neutering diego help with Pablo's aggression towards him?

Could it be down to the choice of keeping them indoors/boredom/having too much energy? .. we live in a pretty spacious home so there's plenty or room for them to roam and we have plenty of toys that they don't seem to bother with

We just don't want to get into the habit of separating them constantly and them never getting on!

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Hannah Berry and welcome :)

You don't mention how old Pablo and Diego are, but I imagine as Diego has not yet been neutered they are young adults of no more than a year old?

I expect Pablo, having been neutered, now feels threatened by the scent of Diego's hormonal status as an entire male. Unsurprisingly it is making Pablo feel uneasy and protective of his territory and that is probably what is mostly making him aggressive to Diego.

I doubt it is play-fighting as Pablo is regularly ripping fur out of Diego. Such aggression should not be allowed to continue. It is evident Pablo has a lot underlying anxiety about Diego - because Diego is entire. He fears Diego may try and take over the whole territory and resources. The situation may have been made worse by the (unavoidable) separation of the two cats during poor Pablo's recovery from his gunshot injuries and surgery..

Spraying Pablo with water is not helpful. It is punishing Pablo for his anxiety. If you need to stop a fight hold a cushion between the two cats and use the cushion to gently but firmly shepherd Diego (as he is the calmer of the two) out of the room to a safe place in the house.

I strongly recommend getting Diego neutered as soon as possible, and until then, keeping the 2 cats separate. Allowing them to be together in the current circumstances is reinforcing Pablo's fear and aggressive response and risks making it habitual.

But please bear in mind that it will be a couple of months after castration before Diego's sex hormones have fallen to a level where Pablo can no longer detect the odour of "entire cat" in Diego's scent. So it would be sensible to wait for a couple of months after Diego has been castrated before commencing full reintroductions.

When you restart the reintroductions please take things very slowly, preferably with a fixed barrier between the two cats at first, so they can see and hear each other, read each other's body language, and smell each other's scent. Pablo will need a lot of moral support and gentle understanding from you if he is to accept Diego as a housemate and pal again.

Ensure before you start the introductions that you multiply all the feline resources considerably, so that Pablo feels less anxious about them. This means:

1/ at least 3 litter trays, but preferably 4 trays if you are not letting them out. Spread them out, do not group them together.

2/ plenty of scratch posts and scratch pads, several to every room, and one placed near the door of every room

3/ plenty of high up places to rest and sleep, e.g. tall cat trees, or shelves fitted up the wall to create a staircase up to the top of a tall cupboard or wardrobe. Place a fleece blanket on top of the cupboard.

4/ At least 4 to 6 cat beds (if they like cat beds) so they can swap around where they sleep as cats like to do

5/ plenty of opportunities to get away from each other within the house, if this is what they choose to do.

It is important also to give them their own permanent separate feeding spots, out of sight of each other. Either in different rooms, or at different heights in the same room, utilising a table top or shelf for one, while one eats on the floor on the opposite side of the room. feed Pablo first always, to allay his anxiety about food.

If you can buy each cat their own microchipped feeder, so much the better as it will reduce competition for food resources. At least buy one for Pablo as it will be reassuring for him. (Fetch is currently the cheapest source (for the 'chipped feeders) as they offer 15% off first orders plus free delivery.

Good luck. Please let us know how things go. :)

EDIT: it would probably be better for both cats if they could have some outdoor access. If you have a garden you could consider cat proofing it, so they are safely restricted to the garden.

Or you could consider building an outdoor "catio" with access through a cat flap on the back door. If you put cat trees, cat beds, etc in the catio it could be a pleasant place for them to spend time and get fresh air and see the birds.

There is a pinned thread on Cat Chat with reports from some of our members who have installed catios or cat-proofed their gardens:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/cat-runs-cat-proofed-gardens.211361/

#2 chillminx, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    AmsMam and lymorelynn like this.
  3. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Neutering will help, not because of jealousy but because of hormones. Diego smells like an entire boy and that can sometimes put neuters on edge.

Additionally, neutering Diego will be better for his health. Being left entire leaves him at very high risk of testicular cancer, as well as abscesses from fights and being at a much higher risk of being hit by a car as his hormones force him across the road for a mate.

Finally, by leaving him entire and letting him roam, you are irresponsibly adding an extra approx 420,000 kittens per year to an already overloaded cat population.

For his own health and for the wider cat population at large, get him neutered asap.

As regards the fighting, is Pablo is now indoors and Diego is still outdoors, it's likely that Diego is coming home smelling of other homes or other cats. I would advise keeping both indoors (which you will need to do for Diego post-op anyway as he will still be fertile for up to 12 weeks post surgery) and reintroduce them so they are both able to establish a familiar home smell on each other

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Rufus15 - the OP (Hannah Berry) stated in her post that both Pablo and Diego are now kept as indoor cats.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Yes, but I see Chillminx's point and agree some outdoor space would be preferable. Perhaps this could be a project for next spring when hopefully they will both be neutered. However, just because they are brothers it doesn't follow they'll ever become friends, male cats often prefer a solitary life and the best they may ever manage may be mutual tolerance.
    Trip to the vet as soon as ...... then separate rooms for a while ?

6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

What are you basing that on?

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

yeah, never heard of that lol. In fact many people I know with all males are always showing pictures of lovely cat piles. :D

Perhaps Exd means intact males.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Even then, intact males often get on very well, as demonstrated by many, many breeders.

I have a lovely male cat pile of my own on a daily basis, they love a good snuggle in the lunchtime sun

DSC_2050.jpg

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice