Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on neighbourhood cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Emily Masterson, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Emily Masterson

Emily Masterson PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

This is my first post of this forum but I’m eager to get your thoughts on something!

My partner had a young cat continuously show up at his house every day for about two weeks and would continuously try to get into the house to hide. After a while he took the cat to the vet to see if she was chipped which she was however when the owner was contacted they informed us that they had sold her onto somebody else. My partner then put a paper collar on her and after a few days the new owner called and she actually belonged to my partner’s neighbour, however rather than asking for her back the neighbour just supplied my partner with food and cat toys!

He has continued to try to encourage her to go back home but she’s just keeps sneaking back into the house and she is the most affectionate cat I’ve ever seen, she’s completely harmless and totally content living with my partner who has also grown very fond of her and decided to keep her. However, the unfortunate part is my partner is now having a very intense reaction and his eyes are very swollen and his vision is getting slightly blurry.

We’re very upset now that it seems even we can’t keep her but we’re not sure what to do, given her registered owner sold her on and the new owner doesn’t seem to care. We want to do what’s best for her but we aren’t sure what options we have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sizzle likes this.
  2. cattherapy

cattherapy PetForums Junior

This is a very difficult one. You are right obviously about wanting to do what is best for the cat - who sounds lovely.

I think if it was me, I would call the vet again, based on the first visit to check whether the cat was chipped, and explain all the subsequent circumstances as you have written here. Some kind of kind re-homing programme looks an inevitable solution and the vet should be able to signpost this as a first port of call and give other advice. As the cat is so affectionate and getting settled this is a very hard thing to do, but the longer attempts to re-home her are not made, then it would be even harder on the cat longer term when this was eventually done and obviously the intense reaction your partner is getting is unsustainable.

I sympathise with this dilemma - especially as she clearly had found an ideal home. Based on the circumstances it could well be that hopefully this lovely animal wouldn't be without another owner for too long. It would be good to have an update as to what happens.

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Emily Masterson
    Hi,
    Reading through the chain of events, the cat now seems to belong to your partner and your partner sadly cannot keep her due to allergies.
    I would try to rehome her through a rescue. Rescues do home checks and screen potential adopters.

Hopefully, there are local rescues with room.
    If not if possible, with the aid of allergy medication and if your partner can hold on a bit longer, some rescues will allow cats to be rehomed through them, while still in the current home.

Some tips while she is with you: Wash hands after touching her, do not touch your face after handling her, do not allow her in the bedroom.
    Maybe someone else has other suggestions.

Good luck and let us as @cattherapy said, to know the outcome.

Sizzle and chillminx like this.
  4. Emily Masterson

Emily Masterson PetForums Newbie

Hi @cattherapy and @Summercat thank you both so much for taking the time to give me some advice.

My partner has now called the vet who sadly said that he can't do anything without his neighbour agreeing. He's arranged a meeting with her now to discuss the options so hopefully she agrees to try and rehome her.

Thanks again both!

cattherapy likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Perhaps your OH could take allergy medicine and keep her since she has obviously Chosen him.

Sizzle likes this.
  6. Emmasian

Emmasian Mother of Pumpkins

My friend used to have terrible cat allergies, but about a decade ago was adopted by her first cat who turned up on Xmas Eve as a stray. They never did find his owner, and he loved the family, so she reluctantly let him stay and took alot of antihistamines. Ten years on she has three cats and a dog, all rescues or abandons, and no longer suffers allergies at all. Could be worth a go? Good luck xx

7. Sizzle

Sizzle PetForums Junior

Such an honor to have been chosen by this little traveler. They do choose who they want to be with. This situation sounds very difficult. There are several over the counter non-prescription medications that include relief for cat allergies. You would want to have your partner telephone the doctor to see if your partner is a candidate for this and find out if there would be any potential negative side-effects. I have significant allergies including cat and dog allergies. That being said, a day has not gone by in well over 30 years that cats have been with me and fortunately they allow me to live in "their" house. Going back to the beginning I have always had the cats stay indoors. I feel I can better control for their health and safety that way. I do get relief from an over the counter non-prescription medication. Actually it works quite well. But then again what works for one person may not work for another. I also receive allergy injections every 3 to 4 weeks which results in my being nearly symptom free. Yay for that.
    I hope the issue gets resolved. Would love to hear how it turns out for the little one. Regards.

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice