Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on my girls crate

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cheryl89, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Cheryl89

Hey guys

As some of you know my girl broke her leg on Tuesday and needs her left leg bolted too. She may be coming home on Saturday so I need advice to make her crate super comfortable for her.

We currently have a "tough bed" as she loves to chew through beds but gets frustrated with it and digs underneath it and ends up sitting under it, can anyone recommend anything for the bottom to keep her really comfy? I think vet said it's 2 month recovery time so her crate will have to live downstairs now in the living room too as she can not go upstairs for a few months which is going to really upset her as she has her own bedroom upstairs, does anyone recommend covering the crate at night with a blanket so it's less distressing?

If she ever sees my cat walking by she goes wild bashing left to right and need to prevent this happening too, and any game suggestions for her brain would be great!

Thanks all xxxx

2. tabulahrasa

tabulahrasa PetForums VIP

There's a DVD called crate games - but I haven't worked out if it's more to do with crate training than actual games.

I spent a lot of time teaching Brock the name of different toys while he was on crate rest (because it's literally endless as long as you've got a variety of objects to give names to) and working on touch and take it. Any tricks that made him lie down we did as well, dead or lying on his back, but he was only a puppy so it was all new.

He also spent a lot of time eating, lol... Frozen kongs, bones, chews. Hiding food under plastic cups for him to find as well, I don't think it really mentally stimulated him - but it did keep him occupied.

Oh he spent a couple of days very slowly ripping up a big cardboard box, it wasn't intentional to start with, but it kept him busy and still, lol.

3. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

4. Cheryl89

Fantastic ideas!!! thank you so much guys, that video is amazing!!! :) xxx

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You can get memory foam dog beds they are gentle on joints and supportive too.

6. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

If you don't mind "ruining your living room image" you can leave the crate covered at all times. Axel's crate is covered with a blanket all the time so it looks like a den and I think he is more willing to go in there then. I just leave a little bit of the entrance hole open. Or you can cover half of it if your girl prefers to see more of what is going on around her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice