Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on my cat re food/toilet

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Loubylou2905, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Loubylou2905

Loubylou2905 PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, hoping someone can help and maybe put my mind at rest!

We got our female cat on Monday (a year old, was being re-homed) and she's been bought up on purely dry food. I had heard from a few people that dry food isn't good for cats and they should eat wet food (Is this true?!). So on Tues morning I put a Whiskas pouch out for her (next to a bowl of dry food) and she had demolished it by the time I came home from work Tues night (and some of the dry food too). She went to the toilet early hours of Tues morning, then early hours of Weds morning but nothing since.
    Now I'm starting to worry that I've managed to bung her up with the wet food. She's still eating the dry food and likes the handful of treats I give her in the evenings.

So to any experts out there have I overfed her with the wet food and this is why shes not going to the toilet? Or could it be she's sad from leaving her old house (not that she acts it as shes very playful and loving)?

2. Loubylou2905

Still no poo this morning! My boyfriend (a nurse) has really laid into me saying I've completely overfed her and she's probably going to die from a perforated bowl now :( I can't believe I'm 30 and sitting here crying over a cat not having a poo!...am going to call vets when they open but has anyone had the same situation?

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome to the PF. Also congrats on your cat!

First things first though - you got her on Monday, right? Though you mean well, one typically says to leave kittens/cats on the food that they are used to for a couple to few weeks when they first arrive. Changing environments can be stressful for cats so you want to minimise any additional stresses.

In the long-term there are lots of arguments against feeding a just dry diet; the main argument being that cats are naturally bad drinkers who take in their moisture need from food. So, feeding them a food that has very little moisture - i.e. dry - means that they need to take in their water from other sources. However, studies have shown that although cats fed dry drink more, they don't take in as much water as their wet-fed peers, which leads to more concentrated urine, which in turn can lead to issues with the bladder etc. A lot of dry food is also full of cereals (i.e. carbs), which in dietary terms is pretty useless for them.

So, yes, wet food is better for them. And it is highly unlikely that you feeding her wet food has bunked her up - it is typically dry food that tends to do that.

TBH, it is highly unlikely that you have over-fed her and that she now has a perforated bowel as a result (is your OH typically a drama llama who makes a mountain out of a molehill? :D). She might have mild constipation because of the change in environment, the change in food, because she hasn't been drinking or another reason.

While constipation can be a serious problem, a cat not pooping for two days who isn't straining to go to the toilet and who is otherwise fine I don't find that problematic myself. But it always depends on the circumstances and the general behaviour of the cat.

Still, better safe than sorry, s please phone the vet when they open - also a good way to get her registered and get her to have a once-over. And you wanna bet that she will poop within the next couple of hours after you phoning :tongue_smilie:

Then when she is back from the vet let us know what they said and then we can help you move her over to some better food (wet) in good time.

Best of luck!

4. Loubylou2905

Thank u so much! But guess what I went and had a shower, came down and she had been! Cant believe how silly I feel, just cant help worrying being my first pet I guess.

I have taken her to the vets already on Wednesday and she said she was perfectly healthy so fingers crossed its all good now!! :001_smile:

Oh and yes my OH is a complete drama queen and worries about the slightest thing...and was probably trying to wind me up as well!

#4 Loubylou2905, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Excellent news! :)

6. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome....aah you sound like me hun...as hobbs said..change of food suddenly can do that....but dont panic.

My new kitten Indy decided she was going to start eating my other kittens Honey food straight away..she kept pinching it :eek:...so when she first came to us..she pooed...then she was taking honeys wet food and i didnt have the chance to wean her properly from her other food

So she developed constipation...didnt go for over 24 hrs and cried when she tried...i took her to the vets...vet could feel the stool in her tummy....gave her a dose of lactulose and gave me some more to take home

By the time i got home she was in her litter tray having a poo :D
    Make sure she is hydrated whilst you are waiting to take her to vets...if she is not drinking from bowl...then a little plastic syringe that you would use for medicine with water in ...will do the trick ;)...pop into the side of her mouth and squirt it in.

If she is playful and happy...she sounds fine..i am a born worrier about my furbabies as well...but that means we CARE

Dont listen to the drama queen boyfriend...no offence attended ;) :D

Let us know how she gets on....and when you have calmed down and your kittie has curled one out :D....piccies pls:D

kelly xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice