Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on litter of kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by babybelle, Aug 13, 2009.

1. babybelle

babybelle Guest

I have a litter of 6 kittens and 2 of them have very weepy eyes, only 1 eye per kitten.

It isnt 'weepy' But it is full of sleep? And in the mornings it is stuck together so I clean it.

Mum and all the other kittens are fine and all health tested etc

We are visiting the vets on monday for 1st injections so I will ask then but is there anything I should be worried about? I have never seen this before.

2. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

From what i can remember i had a litter years ago and a few of them had gunky eyes. I called the vet and was advised to was eye with cotton wool in warm water moving from the inner eye out words only using the cotton wool once i did this 3 times aday and it cleared up. I hope that this helps

xx

3. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

I agree and did the same myself with a kitten we had years ago. It cleared up perfectly. ;)

4. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yup, cooled boiled water. One piece of cotton wool per eye. No salt as it can sting if infected.

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

i find cold tea works wonders and a piece of cotton wool

6. babybelle

babybelle Guest

Thanks, I called the vet and they said the same thing and not to worry. That is a lot off my mind I was very worried.

Instead of doing it twice a day I have been doing it 4/5times and its stayed clear thank god!

7. ruthmcnally

ruthmcnally PetForums Member

Thats good news.

xx

8. Cat Lover Chris

Cat Lover Chris PetForums Member

I had a kitten with the same problem and used the same remedy. Cured the problem. It went off to it's new home happy as Larry.

9. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

If the cooled boiled water doesnt help, you could try some optrex infected eye drops, they have an antibiotic in and are avaiable over the counter. Just dont say your using them for a cat or they wont let you have them.
    If these dont improve the eyes in a couple of days you will probably have to go to the vet for something stronger.

10. I'm not going to diagnose online because there are lots of things it could be

However the most likely is a touch of conjunctivitis.

The vet will likely give you some drops for those kittens, however i would get a stock of the optrex in too, just to be on the safe side and you can treat the others (when its diagnosed with conjunctivitis) at home.

Hope that helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice