Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on leaving puppy.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Shoeser, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Shoeser

Shoeser PetForums Newbie

our pup is 9 weeks old .... we got her on Wednesday and so far all not too bad. I need to start leaving her though ... she goes into her crate perfectly, it's in the Utility room with water etc so she's fine there. No howling at night and sleeps right through the night. However, trying leaving her 10 mins or so whilst I'm in the house and she whimpers quite a bit. I don't make a fuss when I go in so she is begining to get used to it. How long will it be before I can leave her longer ... how soon does everyone else start leaving them? This is all quite new to me!! We have a lunch tomorrow, close by ... do I chance leaving her an hour after she's been fed/toileted. Would love some feedback.

2. yorkiegal

yorkiegal PetForums Newbie

I'm in the same boat. Baxter is now 11 weeks old and has been with me for 9 days. At first he whimpered if I left the room, and insisted on following me everywhere, but in the last couple of days he's been content to sleep in the living room whilst I get on with housework elsewhere. However, on the three occasions I've gone out and left him for 2hrs each time, unavoidably, my neighbours tell me he has barked and howled constantly. When I return home he has kicked over his water and food bowl and messed all over the kitchen floor, which is the room he is kept in. It's a tiny room so I hoped he'd feel secure there. I leave a radio on for him too.

I live alone so there are going to be times when he is on his own for a couple of hours whilst I go shopping, as no way am I tying him up outside a shop. My friend has a 2 year old whippet who has never been left alone because he barks so much if she does. She's made a rod for her own back now as she can't even leave the house for ten mins without him. I want Baxter to be happy and secure at home and used to being on his own for short periods.

3. Delboy

Delboy Banned

Start by leaving the puppy for seconds then minutes and then gradually by the hour but never too long he starts to cry, let the pup know you are going to return soon and do not let him get into the habit of crying, good luck.:thumbup:

4. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

Tough love I'm afraid!

We got Monty at 9 weeks. My hubby stayed at home for the first week to get him settled, in the second week I came home from work at lunch times. But we found he fussed loads more when I left him for the afternoon. So I stopped popping home, and we've had no issues.

We leave him with plenty of water, his bed, an area to toilet (papers), radio on (radio 4, so no loud music) toys, raw hide chews and a kong. The kong is great as we can put in some of his favourite treats and kong stuffer and it keeps him distracted when we leave for work.

He sleeps a lot of the time, and seems find. Neighbours say they no longer hear any fuss from him (they did when I used to go home at lunchtime).

He tends to fuss if we are in the house and he can't get to us (e.g. we are upstairs), but we ignore it.

If your puppy is whining/barking etc, best to ignore, and once he is quiet, then go to him. He will learn (in time) that it is being quiet and well behaved that gets attention, not barking. If you go to him when he is barking, he learns to bark.

Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice