Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on kitten feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sнarкy, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Sнarкy

Sнarкy PetForums Junior

Hello!

First post here but I've been scouring for quite a while (this is just the first time I've felt the need to ask a question).

I'm getting a pair of kittens in two weeks and as part of preparing I've been looking at food for them. They're currently on Royal Canin kitten and I want to switch them to a better wet food.

They'll stay on their current food while they settle in to not cause further upsets and I plan to make any changes gradual but I have a few (probably longwinded) questions.

1. Is it worthwhile to get trial packs?
    My reason for asking being that it's recommended to switch food slowly, especially in kittens, so would multiple swaps like that be ill-received? The biggest trial packs are 800g per tin but that's not much to introduce slowly unless I just did a small amount of one at each meal then switched when empty?

2. As most adult and kitten foods are the same or similar would it be fine to just start them straight onto adult or mixing between the two? There's more adult trial packs and adult varieties so unless recommended (ie for certain brands) I don't see any reason to stick to the kitten label.

3. What's recommended for treats? I know they can be unhealthy/less healthy or just be dry kibble and a lot of people seem to sing praises for webbox sticks (or own brand versions).

4. If I wanted to do a mixed raw and wet diet would it be advised to start them young and how would you recommend it done? Not the introduction or preparation but actual serving so one raw meal a day every few days or one raw day a week etc.

I've already written possibly too much so I'll save any other questions for later but a heads up that I'm aware of Zooplus and the thread for it.

Thanks for reading and any advice would be great!

dustydiamond1 likes this.
  2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome here! You didn’t ask too many questions, don’t worry. Hope you will introduce your adoptees soon, we love kitty photos.

1. Trial packs can be a good idea, they keep for some time so there’s no hurry. Once you have transferred your new family members to a new wet food successfully you can first introduce new flavours of the same brand and then switch to other brands. You will see how slowly you have to go. With my two there has never been a problem with introducing a new food.

2. You can absolutely start them on adult cat food directly. The distinction is more of a marketing gimmick. Kittens don’t eat kitten mice out in the wild, either, they get the same that mum gets.

3. The best treats in my girls’ and my eyes are the freeze dried sort- Cosma, Thrive, Orijen. Those sticks are okayish for once in a while, but they do contain carbs which are not really needed in a cat’s diet.

4. My girls joined the family at 4 months old and they got wet food and a raw meal once or twice a week from the start.

3. Sнarкy

Sнarкy PetForums Junior

Here's a picture of them (If this works)

1. I've already looked at a few brands and I've sort of chosen Feringa, Bozita and Smilla with Animonda Carny and Miamor being my next choices but I feel I might have oversearched myself into a bias. Is there a recommended time to start the food introductions?

2. I more meant can I mix between serving the two if I have them or would it be pointless/better avoided to bother with those extra types?

3. I was eyeing up the freezedried cosma but i guess I'll avoid the sticks and try stick to better quality treats.

4. That's great to know! I was surprised to hear one of my family members was so quick to accept making and feeding them a raw diet when I suggested it.

Thanks for all your help!

dustydiamond1 and ChaosCat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice