Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on how to get a hamster used to you!

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by SummerRose17, Sep 5, 2019.

1. SummerRose17

SummerRose17 PetForums Junior

Hi!
    I’m just looking for advice on how to get my Syrian used to me and my home, as he is very nervous! I have had him around 4 months and he was 12-14 weeks when I got him. He lives in my bedroom in the attic, so he gets his quiet time, however he is very nervous! Any advice would be so so helpful, as to how I can get him used to everything like house noises etc, and also being handled.
    Thankyou so much!

2. heiidi

heiidi PetForums Newbie

I know you wrote this some time ago, but I hope I can still be of a little service.
    To help a hamster familiarise itself with you, you can consider:
    • Placing a used t-shirt in the cage so they get used to your scent
    • Feeding treats through the bars, and eventually on the palm of your hand
    • In the same room, talk to your hamster with a soothing voice
    • Wash your hands before you ever touch or go close to the hamster, removing other scents (especially other animals)
    • Let your hamster come and sit on your hand
    • Do not lift the hamster with a clawed hand, as this can be seen as a bird of prey & they'll bite
    • Don't ever wake your hamster by lifting it. Scuffle nearby bedding and the vibrations will wake it up.
    • Try not to wake your hamster in the day (unless for vet trip)
    • Clean the cage towards the night or very early in the morning (hamsters are crepuscular, try to work by their times)
    Hope even some of that helps!

SummerRose17 likes this.
  3. SummerRose17

SummerRose17 PetForums Junior

Hi heiidi!

That’s great, thank you so much!! It has been some weeks since I posted this, but he it still nervous. He has got better though! I talk to him all the time and feed him treats through the bars. He doesn’t like me touching him or picking him up though, I think he gets stressed when I used to do this, so I don’t pick him up or touch him at all. He gets comfortable in my presence when it is only me, as I talk to him and he will sometimes freeze, but after a while, he does his own thing and doesn’t mind me. I feel bad for him being in his cage all the time, but he has a huge cage with lots of enrichment, and I offer him to come out his cage but he either goes back into his nest or come to the open door, sniffs me and walks off bless him!

4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums VIP

Please be careful feeding through the bars as he will assume anything poking through the bars is food...fingers, clothing ect

I have made a post that may have a few pointers in the small animal chat which may be of use

SummerRose17 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice