Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on how much to feed

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jano432, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Hi, 6 weeks ago I adopted a female cat. She was handed into the vets as lost but was chipped. Owner denied having a cat, so obviously they didn't want her. Hence we adopted her.

I am trying to get into a routine of her feeding. She has a good appetite (or is just greedy, I need to determine that too. I have had cats for over 40 years and never had a greedy cat) for her weight 4.8 kilos, I think a tin per day is adequate. However, like many cats, once opened and one serving removed, she will not eat the rest.

As far as pouches are concerned, as the ones she likes are 85 grams (tin is 400 grams) I would like to try her with 3 pouches per day plus a helping of something like Purina One. On the instructions it only gives amount to feed daily.

Can anyone recommend how much I should give her along with the three pouches please? She is 2 years old this month (March).

When I took her back for her second injections, she had gone from 4.2 to 4.8 Kilos and so need to ensure that she does not continue to gain weight. Have only allowed her to go out this week for the first time and that is only for a few hours and so is not getting a lot of exercise although she does play in the house and run around like a maniac from time to time.

2. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

Cats are so variable in size. Has the vet given you any guidance on her weight? 4.8kg is fairly big for a female, but it might be fine if she's just a large cat. Often the best guide is body condition scoring, which helps you judge from their shape.

Food requirements vary greatly too. You pretty much just need to see how she goes and adjust accordingly. But you can start by feeding the manufacturer's recommendations. How many pouches are recommended daily? If it's 4 pouches then feeding 3 would be 3/4 of her food, then feed 1/4 of what the other food recommends.

Jano432 and MissKittyKat like this.
  3. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

I rely on body condition scoring over weight. My girl is ten in April and weighs 4.5kg but her body condition score is only two. She is very active and regardless of what I feed her she remains skinny.

4. Jano432

Jano432 PetForums Junior

Thank you for your replies

She is quite a bit cat, a little oriental looking, she doesn't look overweight but obviously, I don't want her to gain any extra weight.

I will try her with 1/4 of what is recommended on the packaging of dry food..tbh I have never been a fan of dried food but she does crunch it up (unlike other cats of mine who have just cracked each piece and swallowed) so it's good for her teeth.

Thanks again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice