Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on giving Baytril & question about growth???

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by jellybean01, May 30, 2010.

1. jellybean01

jellybean01 PetForums Member

Hi everyone,

I feel awful doing this - I've been off the forum for ages & now I'm back but spurred on pretty much by one of my girls getting sick so here I am scuttling back after my non-participation and hoping for advice.....

Basically Banoffee has a URI...with my totally non-existent vetinary degree, I had concluded it was something like that as she had rattley breathing but only when she was sniffing, not when she was just breathing so I was almost pleased with myself when the vet agreed. He's given me baytril for her, along with the syringe and she currently does not love mummy very much because mummy keeps assaulting her with the aforementioned syringe and squirting icky stuff into her mouth...poor Banoffee and what a wicked mummy!!! :eek6:
    I am just wondering if there is a more painless method I could try. I have attempted putting it on food but she's having none of it. It's like she has a spidey sense that if there's Baytril in it, she's suddenly not hungry! It is maddening! To be honest, I can continue just squirting it at her but if there's a way to make it more pleasant for my furbaby, I'd like to try it.

My second question.....I have two......Banoffee seems to have stopped growing. She eats like a hippo, she's active, she's healthy (bar the URI) and the vet was very impressed with how happy she was to be handled even by strangers so she's great in all respects really. It's just that Cookie - my youngest & younger than banoffee by a good month and a half, has started to become bigger than Noffee and I'm a little concerned she's not growing as she should....is this something I should keep an eye on or might she just be a little rat. I'm not hugely worried, more curious and seeking the advice of more experienced owners.

Thanks very much,
    Sarah :p

2. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

some rats grow more than others.
    some small some large as long as she's eating down't worry about it.

as for the baytril if she won't take it in food then what u are doing now by syringing it into her mouth is the only option.

i know there are some that like to put the dosage in there water but i personally think this is a bad idea as u don't know if there getting the correct amount which won't clear the URI quickly and the other rats may get a hold of it too.

so what your doing is fine.:)

3. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

just re read about her not growing,maybe because she has the URI it could have stopped her growing if she's under the weather.
    i know when one of my rats years ago had resp infection he went ever so thin even on baytril but picked up once he was cleared up.

how old is banoffee?
    baby rats under 12 weeks aren't ment to have baytril as this can stunt growth in rats.

4. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Have you tried giving it to her in a sweet baby food, bannana or something, I always used to fool my hamster like that.

5. jellybean01

jellybean01 PetForums Member

I shall try putting it in some banana and see if that works, although to be honest, she's getting less and less stroppy about having it squirted into her mouth, I guess she's resigning herself to it...however, thankyou so much for the tips, I shall see if I can't make it a little more pleasant for everyone.

Banoffee is.......using all my fingers and toes.....about 16 weeks old now. I keep waiting for some sort of ratty growth spurt but she's just not had one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice