Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on getting a new cat buddy for my Arnie?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by keogh, May 10, 2010.

1. keogh

keogh PetForums Newbie

Howdy all,

I'm a noob here, and although I'm not a noob to owning a cat, I'm a noob to owning my own cat (too many noob's in that sentance?)

Anyway, I recently bought my own house, and after having cats all my life (whilst at home with my parents) I got a cat from the Cats protection league a few weeks back. He's a 3-4 yr old male called Arnie, and after letting out the cat flap after a few weeks he's always out and I rarely see him.

He's definitely an outdoor cat (was a stray for several years before CPL got him) and he constantly looked out the cat flap before I let him out.

Well I would like to get a companion for him (and more so me, so I have a cat around the house more) but not sure what the process of this would be.

I want a young cat (ideally less than 1 year old) and would like a girl cat, but would that be wise? Would Arnie (being a boy) take to a girl cat? Or would it make no difference if its a girl/boy cat that I adopt?

Arnie is a very friendly cat and I've never seen him react bad to another cat... and dare I say it, he's a bit of a wimp as I have seen him running away from one of the local girl cats which didn't make me very proud :) So I think Arnie wouldn't react to bad to another cat, and when I got him he was in a cage (that the right term?) with two older cats and next door to 4 girl cats and got on fine.

If they do react badly on their first encounter, how long is acceptable to wait to see if they get on? And if they don;t get on, can I take the new cat back to CPL (not that I would want to do that)?

Sorry for all the questions, but any advice would be appreciated!

ta

Steve

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

when i got smokey as a kitten he missed cat compine so igot holly my ragdoll eventhough hes an outside cat and she a indoor cat they love eachother and they never fight so you proble will be fine getting a new cat i would be sure though that you cat is ok with other cats maby if you have a friend with a cat you could put them together and see how your cats get on with others

3. keogh

keogh PetForums Newbie

We got cats all over the place in the family, and all girlies, so I'll take my carry box and bring one of them home and test him out... I think he will be ok thou, he's quite well mannered and did seem to like the ladies at the rescue centre.

ta

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice