Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on getting a dog would be appreciated!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Shelby F L Wilsher, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Shelby F L Wilsher

Shelby F L Wilsher PetForums Newbie

okay guys, I would really appreciate some advice/help here in regards to whether it would be okay to bring a dog into our home.

Some background: my partner and I have our own home, we’ve both had dogs all our lives, he’s trained up his own gundogs and I’ve had two golden retrievers. This is the longest both of us have gone without having a pup and honestly, I miss the responsibility!!!

Since moving in together we’ve acquired 3 cats - two adults and one 7-month-old, and all have been around dogs quite happily. He is in a stable full-time job, I am in uni 3 days a week for the next 4 years at least. After that I’m planning on getting a part-time job (no more than 15 hours p/w). We aren’t really very social so spend a lot of time hiking and on walks together.

In my opinion, the only con of getting a dog so far is that the future is never certain, and life could just change at any moment. But then there’s always that “what if” in life, so I’m not sure. Obviously if I knew for certain we wouldn’t be able to provide everything for a dog to have a good life, I wouldn’t even be considering it - and of course, what if the dog doesn’t get along with cats?

Sorry for such a long post! I would really appreciate any advice :)

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Is your partner fully on board with this? I would say you need to make the decision between the 2 of you. Whatever you agree on will be right for you:)

margy, Blitz and lullabydream like this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I do think anyone's life can change the important thing is your committed to the dog and if circumstances change make it work where possible.

Lots of people on here have cats and dogs that live in harmony I believe careful management is key.

4. Shelby F L Wilsher

Hi! Yeah he is, we’re both very committed to the pup having as best a life they could have and really don’t want to make such a big decision without being 100% certain, hence why I posted it here. We are about 90% atm but really wanted another... opinion??? Not sure if that’s the right word!

tabelmabel likes this.
  5. Shelby F L Wilsher

Definitely! I do think that regardless of what happens, we’d both put our animals first. I know the youngest cat will be a little bit cautious at first but we’ve had his parents’ lab and collie over a lot, and he’s happt enough with them.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not sure why you are hesitating. You know what you are letting yourself in for and your lifestyle would suit a dog so if that is what you want go ahead and get one.

rona, tabelmabel and margy like this.
  7. Shelby F L Wilsher

Honestly, I’m not sure either. I did just want affirmation that I’m not cruel for leaving it for 15 hours a week, and that it wasn’t harsh on the cats to disturb their peace :)

Blitz likes this.
  8. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Only you know the answer of the cats, but you say that they are comfortable around some other dogs. I would think it's just a case of giving them an escape when the pup is a pup :D
    15 hours a week left alone is actually a healthy amount of time to leave a dog on it's own, you don't want a dog that suffers from separation anxiety later down the line because you were with it 24/7. Depends on how that is split of course. 4 hours is the longest I would leave a dog but others will leave them longer.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Justlittlejess

Justlittlejess PetForums Newbie

100% would recommend a dog to anyone, both me and my partner work shifts. we took our time getting the dogs used to being left up to 6 hours but generally no longer. it took us a while to ease them into getting left without us but once used to it we haven't had any issues at all. I have also got a camera for our sitting room so I can spy on them at work. in terms of lives changing I say life is to short to not get a dog. enjoy it and live in the moment.

Lurcherlad and rona like this.
  10. Amy7775

Amy7775 PetForums Newbie

My husband and I both work more or less full time, but I work from home 3 weeks a month so most of the time our dog is with me. When I am away we have a dog walker who comes in at lunchtime to take him out for an hour. So generally he's on his own from 8.30 to 11.30 or 12.30, and then from 1ish until 5, for up to 4 days in a row. This seems to work for us (he's a greyhound so sleeps most of the day anyway). We take him out before and after work also for short walks.
    Having a dog has had real benefits for us. Not least I love having the company and he's a rescue so is better off with us. In addition we have all felt the benefit of regular walks and for the children specifically it is a nice way to end the day if you all go for a walk together.

We did have a bad experience when we were on holiday, we left him in the kennels where he had been before he came to us, but he lost 4 kg in the fortnight. So we still need to find a solution for when we can't take him with us.

11. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Get someone who stays at yours. hardly any stress that way

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice