Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on food needed :)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SnazzyJazzy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

hello everybody......
    my names carly and i really really really need advice on cat food. i have three fussy cats at the moment they are all on whiskas but iv heard some really bad stuff about them recently and i want to feed my babies the best i can afford but have no idea what's good and what's not i feel like this :mad2: please help me lol :D

2. raggie doll

raggie doll PetForums VIP

lol don't worry i think most of us fed things like that before we found pf lol
    Well nutrition wise i will leave the advice to spid or hobbs but to start with are they eating wet or dry or a mix

3. SnazzyJazzy

they are on a mix :) jazzy has the kitten variety of whiskas and his not impressed

4. raggie doll

well the key is higher meat content really which the supermarket brands aren't that good with. I have similar issues very fussy cats and there are 8 of them lol
    i have to have some of James Well beloved (hypoallergenic) and bozita. I found bozita cause i have a diabetic kitty and she has to have high meat content no low carbs and the bozita tins can be got from zoo plus for a decent amount. i know grau is meant to be good also. I think the key is if they have dry food it needs to be a quality one, obviously as well make sure they are key drinkers my loopy used to eat go cat before he came here and ouldnt drink much and he got crystals was ill had to be in vet for a week.

What might be an idea is to figure what you can spend and then look at zoo plus at bozita grau and some others and maybe try a few of each if they are extremely fussy

5. SnazzyJazzy

lol i never knew how much cat food was on the market bt confused by bozita ingredients list everyone's saying really high amount of meat but not seeing it on the label lol, grau seems to have more :) is james wellbeloved the best for biscuits was gonna get applaws but then read bad stuff about their dry diet plus really expensive:confused:

6. raggie doll

i know its ridiculous isn't it before i came here i knew of two or three lol i feed them jWB but I'm sure there are people who will tell you there are better food i found when trying to find something for Kami (white tortie) cause she had terrible tummy from wet food on a daily basis so the JWB was the best for a tummy like hers bozita tins and cartons are different lol just to make it even more complicated for you, the carton packs have more sugar and general ingredients they are very popular with the cats but not the best, the tins are very good if you look at the anylsys

Continuation of Product Description:
    97% pure meat (dry solids) in appetising clear jelly
    No soy, meat meal, colourings, sugar or grains
    Handy easy-open packaging (410 g can)
    Multi-vitamins for a healthy life
    Suitable for pregnant and nursing cats and for kittens
    Contains all nutrients, vitamins and minerals your cat needs
    Bozita quality stands for:

Exclusive use of raw ingredients of the highest quality
    Raw ingredients from humane farming
    Meat from livestock inspected for food quality
    All raw ingredients free of growth hormones
    No artificial flavour enhancers
    No artificial conservatives
    No antibiotics
    No meat-and-bone meal
    Constant inspection of the production process (according to ISO 9001)
    Modern environmental management systems (according to ISO 14001)

for me this was the best as the cartons are no where near it Haddock:
    Chicken, haddock (> 4%), pork, beef, minerals, egg, carrots, ß-1.3/1.6 glucan

Perch:
    Chicken, perch (> 4%), pork, beef, minerals, egg, paprika, ß-1.3/1.6 glucan

Crayfish:
    Chicken, crayfish (> 4%), pork, beef, minerals, egg, dill, ß-1.3/1.6 glucan

7. raggie doll

Also the tins are 400g nice good size and you can get bulk buys of it. i was going to also suggest smillia but Hobbs has just done a thread about that one and turns out they changed their ingredients so not a great food anymore lol

Applaws was meant to be good i thought never tried it myself do any of yours have a love for particular flavours

8. SnazzyJazzy

oscar is my fussiest eater lol which is funny since she was a stray living in my garden hedge, she wont eat beef she doesnt like anything in gravy and occasionally turns her nose up at fresh fish, howard loves anything meaty i saved her some rib eye steak the other day after eating out an she was one happy kitty but shes not fond of fish and jazzy-socks seems to be ok with most things but its early days yet lol

9. raggie doll

lol so funny aren't they my dex (big black and white) is the weirdest eater for a cat he doesn't like wet food except for the rare occasion and only likes turkey flavour JWB nothing else he will just refuse to eat he likes treats but not many and isn't keen on meat meat he'll eat a bite of chicken and thats it lol

i have kittens that wille at anything including bread really strange i would love to feed them both but half of them wouldn't eat it. do any of them like the dry more cause they will be the work lol

10. SnazzyJazzy

jazzy-socks defo likes the biscuits more but where his young it should be easyish to change
    hopefully.......
    :001_unsure:

11. raggie doll

yes it can be easier lol depends on the cat do you have any pics of them

12. SnazzyJazzy

have just made an album :)

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Hello there, (my opinion okay)

Firstly if you can try to get them off the dry - they do love it - but we like cake but don't eat it all the time! It's full of completely unnecessary carbs that are there to bulk the food out and make it cheaper for the manufacturers to produce. Add to that that cats find it incredibly hard to metabolise you end up paying for them to poop it out. The additives and sugars that are in dry are a contributory factor to feline obesity.
    Also dry is incredibly dehydrating for cats as cats have evolved to get 99% of their fluids from their prey and so have no natural thirst drive. For each 50g of dry they eat they need about 1/2 pint of water to counteract the dehydrating effects. Even with a water fountain most cats find this a hard amount of water to drink.
    Dehydration can lead to kidney problems, UTIs and crystals forming in the bladder. This is especially bad for neutered boys (no idea why neutered) but boys because they have a longer urethral tract and often the crystals get stuck in their willy when they try to pass them and it is incredibly painful. Obviously not all cats will get this - but you have to weigh up the risks and decide to do what is best for you.

The worst wet is better than the best dry. Yes even Whiskas and Felix!

For wet the higher the meat percentage the better. I like to feed anything above 60% but tend to go for 97% or more, watch out for the offal content though. Hobbs has 2 great threads on wet. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html and http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-heal...beginners-more-seasoned-cat-owners-alike.html

I personally feed a mixture of raw, Bozita, Aminonda Carny (was feeding Smilla but it's just changed and I won't be buying it again), and Grau, I have fed Natures Menu and Hi-life in the past, and probably will again to replace the Smilla. Other good ones are Petnatur, Tiger etc. These foods are found either at Pet Supplies, Pet Food, Dog Food, Cat Food and Pet Accessories at Zooplus or other german suppliers. Other have ordered from the other suppliers but I haven't had the courage yet. Nature's Menu can be found at Pets@Home as can Hi-life.

If you really need to feed dry - look at Orijen, Applaws, and Acana - these are grain free.

As with all good food they may seem more expensive (wet and dry) to begin with, but you feed less and they poop less, AND it's a lot less smelly.

Hope that helps.

14. SnazzyJazzy

Thankyou for the help it was really appreciated and needed lol my cats will be healthier and thinner for it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice