UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting Yuki off on raw gradually and was wondering how should I introduce raw hearts and livers (chicken). I know they're rich and should form a small part of her diet. I'm not going to be mixing a 'batch' of raw meat at least at first so am going to be feeding her individual components (she had her first wing today). Should I chop just half a heart or liver for her at first? Would you expect a cat to eat just organ or should I mix it into her wet food?

Any advice gratefully received!

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Liver, from my reading, should be no more than 5% of their food, so I wouldn't feed it alone.

Hearts however, are a good source of muscle meat as well as offal.

When I first started my two with some raw, it was heart I tried them with (either whole chickens or chunks of lamb).

Good luck :D

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
That sounds fine :D

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I was thinking just half a liver maybe, chopped up and mixed with wet food and fed over a couple of meals?
Personally, I don't quite see the point. Most complete cat food contains more than enough Vit A to start off with. If you want to get your cat used to raw feeding and want to mix it in with wet food or feed alongside wet food why don't you use kidney and heart instead? Again, don't forget that kidney should also only make up 5% of their meal, so again that isn't much at all.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I don't quite see the point. Most complete cat food contains more than enough Vit A to start off with. If you want to get your cat used to raw feeding and want to mix it in with wet food or feed alongside wet food why don't you use kidney and heart instead? Again, don't forget that kidney should also only make up 5% of their meal, so again that isn't much at all.
I've just seen liver mentioned a lot on raw websites so thought it would be a good thing to feed her. Is kidney much better for cats than liver? She'll be getting heart either way.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I've just seen liver mentioned a lot on raw websites so thought it would be a good thing to feed her. Is kidney much better for cats than liver? She'll be getting heart either way.
No, sorry, crossed wires. Once you are properly raw feeding then you will need to feed liver (5%, 5% other offal such as kidney, 80% muscle meat that includes some heart and 8-10% bone).

But if you are still in the process of getting her to try some raw things than you may as well - for the time being - stick with foodstuff that has got no danger of being fed in excess.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But if you are still in the process of getting her to try some raw things than you may as well - for the time being - stick with foodstuff that has got no danger of being fed in excess.
What would you recommend I start with? I already have chicken wings and necks, and am getting hearts next week.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
You need a good butcher/farmer :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.