UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Anyone on here ever done internal examinations to check how dilated their bitch is? If so what do you look for...any advice or is it best staying clear?

Oh and also any experience of feathering during labour to induce contractions? Can someone explain this in lamens terms...I think I know by reading it but noce to get it clarified :)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Hey guys,

Anyone on here ever done internal examinations to check how dilated their bitch is? If so what do you look for...any advice or is it best staying clear?

Oh and also any experience of feathering during labour to induce contractions? Can someone explain this in lamens terms...I think I know by reading it but noce to get it clarified :)
Kelly do not even attempt to do an internal on your bitch, she is a big dog & you will get nowhere near the cervix, this is only possible in small breed's, you will do more harm than good! I will pm you about feathering lol :w00t:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey guys,

Hiya! Still no sign of the pups?:( I dnt know anything about internals! :eek:
(Ask Crazy crest, she's ALOT more experienced than me!) But I did feather Coco as she went just over 2 hrs between a pup and was looking very tired, I wore a glove and used Vaseline but some dnt! You gently insert two fingers and "tickle" the area around the top.(I "tickled for about 10 seconds!) Hope that helps! xx

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hey guys,

The only time i go near is if a pup is stuck.... i think you should leave her alone:)

The pups will not come until they are ready....i would defo stay clear:)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Internal feathering is done in this way!
One finger only in the birth canal & very gently stroke inside, very gently & only with a lubricant, you have to be very careful & have very short fingernails!

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Hiya! Still no sign of the pups?:( I dnt know anything about internals! :eek:
(Ask Crazy crest, she's ALOT more experienced than me!) But I did feather Coco as she went just over 2 hrs between a pup and was looking very tired, I wore a glove and used Vaseline but some dnt! You gently insert two fingers and "tickle" the area around the top.(I "tickled for about 10 seconds!) Hope that helps! xx
Yes i also so did it when i could see pup and she had stopped pushing,but i dont think you should mess,maybe i have read it wrong but i think she means doing feathering to bring labour on i think it should be left to nature;)

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Yes i also so did it when i could see pup and she had stopped pushing,but i dont think you should mess,maybe i have read it wrong but i think she means doing feathering to bring labour on i think it should be left to nature;)
Agreed....only if absolutely necessary to start contractions again or make them stronger in a long drawn out labour :001_tongue:

G

·
Cav shes back online worry not :D :D
I agree...........Do not get involved unless needed, Its not right to interfear like that imo

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol dont panic everyone...I was just having my lunch!

I wasnt going to do anything...I was just curious as to what feathering was and when to use it if necessary.

I dont anticipate any issues with her at all but it's nice to have an extra "tool" in your box just in case

:)

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Lol dont panic everyone...I was just having my lunch!

I wasnt going to do anything...I was just curious as to what feathering was and when to use it if necessary.

I dont anticipate any issues with her at all but it's nice to have an extra "tool" in your box just in case

:)
Lol kelly that is naughty doing that to us:hand:

realy best leave it to nature im sure you will have a smooth delivery:)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No no I didnt mean actually induce labour but inducing contractions during labour if she tires etc

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol kelly that is naughty doing that to us:hand:

realy best leave it to nature im sure you will have a smooth delivery:)
LMAO that made me laugh! Sorry never even gave it a thought :S haha I will know for next time!

But yeah I certainly don't intend on going anywhere near her but as I said it's good to know for my own knowledge and if anything did happen I'd at least know where to start

thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.