Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on ear problems

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Mummytoroo, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Mummytoroo

Mummytoroo PetForums Newbie

Hi I have a cat that is called Roo he was born with deformed ears one side he has half the pinna (sticky up bit) and the other ear he has none of the pinna and this ear has been posing problems recently with being dirty and waxy, I've been to the vets several times now and had antibiotic ear drops and now ear wash, they believe its due to the deformation, that he's not able to get his ear to drain any dirt and wax but as a cat with deformed ears is not something anyone comes across that often, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if there would be anything to permanently stop this issue even if it did mean surgery but feeling mean doing different ear drops several times a day for weeks on end and feeling like its never going to improve he's 2 by the way and hate watching him suffer treatment that seems to have no affect and watching the irritation he has from the ear is a little heartbreaking when he scratches that ear and shakes head quite a lot.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Mummytoroo and welcome :)

I imagine that an ear without a pinna has no natural protection against things such as dust or tiny foreign objects getting in to the ear canal and causing irritation.

I found when one of my cats had an ear problem the ear wash and drops made the waxiness worse. So I adopted a regular regime of cleaning his ears every evening, using cotton buds dipped in pure virgin cold-pressed olive oil. (available from supermarkets). I cleaned gently around the ear, and did not put the cotton bud into the ear canal itself. The olive oil is soothing and it has mild antibacterial properties.

It would be worth having a go, if you haven't tried this. I think it'd need to be a regular maintenance routine, (as it was with my cat) perhaps not every day, once his ear is in a better state, but maybe a couple of times a week.

moggie14 likes this.
  3. Mummytoroo

Mummytoroo PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply well see what vet says at his next appointment but if they don't have anything better to suggest then I may have to try doing what you suggested

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice