Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on dog getting bitten!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kristy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Got a phone call from my sister yesterday in a very distressed state, she owns two jack russtles(sp..lol) one is 3 years and the other around 11years. she had walked them yesterday and sadly someone on her road had let their dog escape from the garden, this very large dog tried to get at my sisters dogs and sadly although my sister tried to lift both dogs up the large dog got hold of the 11year old, after charging around the street with Bob in its mouth some people managed to get Bob out of this dogs mouth, shes not doing well at the vets and has been in surgry for a few hours and has over 100 stitches,apparently the dog did alot of damage to bobs tummy!!, now the owner did drive my sister to the vets however is claiming that my sister is responsible for vet fees and that it wasnt her fault??? does anyone know where my sister stands regarding vet fees and also should it be reported to any one about the dog been out without a lead, i do know the dog has also killed a few cats on the street and just feel that this cannt really go on,my sister doesnt want to cause trouble but is now so worried as she lives on a dead end road and has to walk past this dog in the garden every day just to get off the street so im sure its going to be a worry as she doesnt dare take the younger dog out the house.

2. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Not entirely sure of your sisters position but am sure she could claim costs back from this person. If the dog has had other animals surely the other neighbours could rally round and get somethin done about this.
    Someone else will be along shortly with more helpful advice. Hope all goes well for your sister and her little dog.

3. rona

rona Guest

I really think this should be reported to the district council and the police.
    I'm sure the other owner must be liable for the bill but I'm not certain

4. Cannot advise where you stand legally!!! BUT! would assume that providing your dogs were under control and on a leash on the highway that you would have a valid claim against the owner of the terrorizing dog's owners! Either on their general househould insurance under pulic libility/damages???? Or against their pet insurance!!!! assuming they have it!!! As I say - this is a guess!!! ask citizens advice!

Hoping the poor little fellow makes a full recovery! You sister must be heartbroken!
    regards
    DT

5. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

Thanks for the advice, ive just tried to call my sister and she isnt answering so i think it may be bad news as she was due to ring the vets to see if bob made it through the night,seems so sad that a pet you have owned for 11 years can have this happen:( ill tell her to get incontact with CA if only for her peace of mind as i can understand that she is so worried about taking her dog out of the house. both her dogs were on leads and under control, both dogs can tend to bark at other dogs been little terriers but that doesnt excuse what has happened.thanks

6. Are you in the UK? there is always the small claims court! where there any witnesses? Check out the legalities as I mentioned above !!

7. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

hi, yes we are in the uk, my sister isnt to bothered about the money side but just doesnt want someone else to go through what shes going through now and fears for her other dogs safty while out walking, the owner has told her its nature that dogs will attack other dogs,which i know is true but nature didnt make these people unable to keep their dog under propper control,

8. If the dog is a danger to others it needs to be 'muzzled' whilst in public! The owners of the dog are also legally responsible for the dog 1 metre inside there perimiter! (think it's one metre - could be further) this is to protect children and those amongst us that are unable to read any written signs that may be in postion! which cannot also work the wrong way for the owner incidently!

Ring the CAB, or the local dog warden and press on with looking at what options are open to you would be my advice!
    regards
    DT

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

the owner of that stupid dog should have at least contributed to pay for 1/2 in my opinion! Although i dont' know here your sister really stands legally either.

I hope her dog is ok......

10. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would call the police, it is a dangerous dog and should not be allowed out unmuzzled.

11. aurora

aurora PetForums Senior

so sorry to hear the news, hope the news is good from the vets.

years ago a collie dog attacked our fox terrier, and wripped his shoulder and it was a mess, the dog need quite a few stiches and antibiotics etc. there was no question of the other owner paying he offered there and then, and a good job he had other wise he would of been presented with the bill toot sweet. When you are in control of your own dogs, or like we were on our own property and the dog is attacked for no reason by someones eles dog then they should be responsible for the damage there dog causes. Certainly if this dog is wandering about loose and liable to attack again it should be reported immediately as this could in the future be a child he attacks.

let us know how you get on :)

12. kristy

kristy PetForums Member

thanks, i will let my sister know her options as soon as i get hold of her, i do fear the worst as shes still not answering her phone,ill update as soon as i know anything, fingers crossed bob will pull thhrough

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice