Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by staceydawlz, Jun 22, 2009.

1. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

hi i would like advice on good dog food i am/was feeding my dog on a mix of stuff i got from vets and backers but since iv red that its ful of chemicals etc:eek:hmy: iv beein lookig for a really good dog food but dont know whats best dont want to pay real dear prices but want it to help her grow at her best. is it true to get one with high protein?? please help :( shes a black lab with loads of energy!!!!:D

2. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

How old is she? With my golden, I got told no less than 25% protein until about 6 months old, then lessen the protein to about 18-22% so they opefully don't grow as fast and it is less pressure on the joints.

Roo came on pedigree, tried him on Bakers temporarily, James Wellbeloved, now on Alpha and he loves it. They have a wide range of foods and I give him the Alpha Original Extra usually. They say 29% up to 9 months but Roo would be a bit crazy on that, lol! I wouldn't give her less than 18% when over 6 months, and not less than 22% before that. I get it cheap locally, a 15kg bag for about £11.00, lasts him about 5/6 weeks. Here is the link

Alpha Feeds - the number one name in pet foods

Right now, Roo is on the Alpha Original, it holds together more than the extra as it has mollases I think? And he just enjoys it more. Its 18% protein and he seems to be doing well. As he has been on the upper end of the size scale I thought a little less protein instead of a little more wouldn't hurt, but he'll be up to 22% again on his next bag depending how he's grown! You can see photos of what it is you are buying too, looks quite tasty :p:

#2 GoldenShadow, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  3. staceydawlz

well she is only 9 weeks-10weeks old just really confused on what to buy got a 12.5kg bag of backers!! it was £26.99!! lol looking for something cheaper even if its only a few pound cheaper was talkin to a guy the other day and he get 15kg bag with good protein for £14 pound now thats more up my street lol xx

4. staceydawlz

sorry to b a pest but hw do you get and image at the bottom of your post been tryin for ages ad havent managed yet :( im new to this lol

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi I feed my puppy on Wagg and he has done really well on it.
    He is now nearly 6 months tho so looking to get him onto a junior food.

Do you shop at pets at home or a local shop? My local shop will pretty much order anything in I need.. So i am considering changing onto either beta/purina or skinners.. not sure yet. If you do have a local shop it might be an idea to ask them what puppy foods they can get, and at how much.

x

6. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Lol don't worry about it! Go onto 'Edit Profile' at the top, then under settings and options, click 'Edit signature'. Whichever image you want in your signature, add it as an IMG http link, I'll print screen mine so you see what I mean. Or, underneath you can upload a photo form your computer files. I can't do multi change photos or anything though, so if you want help with that you best ask someone else, lol!!

Attached Files:

7. staceydawlz

thanks ur star!!!! was looking at waggs its cheap here only 11pound for 15kg just wasnt so sure hw much protein like i said want her to grow at her best if yi know what i mean..they have waggs in one of the shops ere!!

8. staceydawlz

hmmmm its nt wrkn lol i will try it again 2morow x
    EDIT::: its worked :D:D thnks

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My boy is staff x lab cross collie.. And he has had no problems growing! :D Infact he is huge. Lol
    Though I have been told that pets at home own brand stuff is about the same price but better.

My oh has not long been working so now we feel we cn afford something a little more pricey, as the puppy food isn't quite enough for him and his growing! Lol

If I could go back and do it again with more money, I would have picked a brand that made puppy, junior and adult, then I could keep him on the same sort of food.
    I'm changing my other dog onto Skinners ruff and ready, so I want something similar to that for him.

x

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

a 12kilo bag will last around 4 months, so it will cost you about £2 a week at that price. Its not exactly dear. Do get one that isnt advertised on tv. Thats all i can say. Burns is my preferance for my pup though you may not want to pay this ;)

11. bonza

bonza PetForums Newbie

Throw away all the Comercial dog food's as they are all fill of chemicals, the only good thing for those expencive foods are for treats for when your training the dog

feed your dog Barf food some people call it raw meat or supereem

heres a run down of what my dog max gets a week

chicken wings
    half rabbits
    liver
    heart (muscle food)
    lamb/cow ribs
    chicken carcus
    green / chunky tripe
    minced beef
    bones
    carrots
    potatoes
    apples

450grams a day of mix and match of raw meet and veg foods from the above list

12. Nicci

Nicci Guest

My hubby has been feeding our new pup on Chudleys, I have usually fed puppies on a Raw diet.

This time I had no say in the matter as I haven't been here, saying that she looks fab and I am impressed, so time for a change me thinks!

I've just asked Hubby what he's been paying and he's said £12.75 for a 10kg bag.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

What's chudleys like, what's in it? Lol daft Q but can you post a pic of what goes in his dish? Lol

I'm having a problem picking a new dog feed because its all very well reading what it says on the bag, but I want to SEE whats IN the bag :)

x

14. Nature Diet - wet
    Arden grange - dry
    are both supurb quality foods

15. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I raw feed my girls, although I do look at commercial foods a lot to compare, mainly the complete types, as I'm interested in the health and well being of my dogs and always want to make sure they get the best possible life.

With complete foods, I wouldn't want to give them anything higher than 20% protein content, and to be honest, that's a little high for my liking even still. Labradors, and medium/large size dogs particularly, don't want to grow too quickly, their skeletal structure needs time to develop properly, and feeding too much protein imo can do more harm than good.

As pointed out by someone much more experienced than myself on a similar discussion I followed, if you think about how a dog in the wild would cope, there are no high protein puppy or junior foods, and never have been, they eat the same diet as their parents.

These type of foods are purely a commercial development, and really there isn't any reason for it other than humans intervening in the development of animals. The best thing you can do for your dog is to allow it to develop in as natural way as possible, feeding the most natural diet your budget/time/yuck factor (some people can't stand the thought of raw feeding) will allow.

16. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I agree this is what i feed my pup, the results are fab! It is pricey tho and does cost me around the £50 mark a month for both but he's lost on meal now and we have cut down so one bag of 15kg is lasting about 6-7weeks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice