Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on dog being seized

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ebonymooncats, Jul 19, 2009.

1. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

Hi everyone

I have spoken to someone today who has had there puppy staff x seized by police as it is a 'pitbull type'. The owner is devastated and has no clue what to do... any advice please..

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I'd contact endangered dogs and defense Endangered Dogs Defence and Rescue - Helping dogs in need and also Trevor Cooper Doglaw

And also contact these people Say No To Breed Specific Legislation! - Home

All could advise you :)

Few more numbers and contacts for you copied from Say No To Breed Specific Legislation! - Home

If you have concerns about your dog, or have had a dog seized by police and need advice, please contact the Bull Breed Advisory Service on:

[email protected]

or by telephone on any of the following numbers
    0870 777 92 94

0870 77 78 925

0870 777 9054

#2 Nicci, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  3. Unfortunatly i dont think there is much that they can do unless they can prove that it is not a pitbull type. This law is absolutely stupid as A pitbull is not an actual breed. staffordshire bull terriers, American staffs, bull terriers can all fall in to the pitbull group.

I think in some cases pitbulls and suspected types can be released back to their owners on terms that they are registered, microchipped, neutered, muzzled and on leash in public places. Plus they will have to go through assessments regually to prove their dog is not a threat to anyone.

I could be wrong though but im pretty certain ive read that somewhere.

4. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

i think the law is stupid too coz at the end of the day a dog is a dog it will act how it has been trained no mater what breed!! so why ban a specific breed when there are plenty other with the same problems its stupid!! i really believe u could have a pit or any ther dog and it could be the softest pup out as long as it was trained and treated right!!!

5. rona

rona Guest

6. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

oh not again its so sad - I personally think after Bruce the best thing is to get media attention. I really think having people on side e.g. petition and letters to MPs really hekps the situation. It makes me so sad when I hear this :(

7. ebonymooncats

ebonymooncats PetForums Junior

it is so bad to take a dog away from a family who loves him and treats him properly. thanks everyone for your advice.

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Please make sure they get in touch with all the above contacts and that they attend every court hearing regarding their dog, it is really important that they do this if there is to be any hope of getting him back, poor puppy :(

#8 Nicci, Jul 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Just to add tell them NOT to sign anything as they may well be signing the dogs death warrent.
    As Nicci has said get in touch with the above on the links provided.
    Good luck,keep us updated.

10. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

OMG thats terrible:mad: i pray they get their puppy back:( why dont you contact alison a member on here she is involved with BSL groups she might beable to help too, her email is.... [email protected]

#10 noushka05, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  11. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

It's about time this stupid law was repealed :mad: - my heart goes out to your friend and her poor pup. Some excellent advice here from Nicci and others that I can't really add to, just wanted to add my wishes that your friends manages to get it resolved and get her pup back.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice