Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on diarrhoea in incontinent cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Sophie Sharp, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Sophie Sharp

Sophie Sharp PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice for living with an incontinent cat. He recently lost his tail due to an accident he has regained bladder control although is struggling with this again due to a urine infection.

A side effect of the antibiotics is diarrhoea, he has no control over his bowel so this is causing a lot of issues especially as we are in a rented property.

Does anyone have any experience with this and how did you get through it?

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I think someone will be along soon. I was wondering whether the vet can give him something to counteract the side effects of the ABs? The only thing I have ever used is Fortiflora if that helps at all.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Sophie Sharp - I appreciate it must be a problem with your cat's diarrhoea and faecal incontinence as you are in rented accommodation.

If he only gets diarrhoea when he has a urinary tract infection is it possible to confine him to one room for this period of time (preferably one without carpets, so it is easy to clean) ?

I would provide puppy training pads for him to sleep on so he doesn't soil his bed.

To manage the diarrhoea I'd put him on a bland diet of home cooked chicken drumsticks, while he is on the antibiotics. Serve the chicken cooked and chopped without the bones but with plenty of the cooking liquid (stock ) to keep him hydrated. Give small but frequent meals (e.g. 5 small meals a day) so there is less going through his system at a time.

Usually this bland diet stops diarrhoea and the cat does not then defecate for several days. When they do pass a stool it is usually a firm, formed poo. This may not be the exact case with your cat but I think the bland diet should help a bit even if the stools are not completely firm.

To keep him clear of UTI's :-

Are you feeding him wet food only?

Is it a high meat protein food (not veg protein) to keep his urine acidic?

Is he having extra fluids (as well as his wet food) to encourage him to pee often?

Is he on any supplements for his bladder such as Cystease or Cystaid Plus?

And Cranimals is a good one for keeping the urinary tract acidic and unfriendly to bacteria.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/...a1&gclid=CMvF57HN8eICFRL-GwodVuwI5Q&gclsrc=ds

Which antibiotic is it? If is a broad spectrum one there might be a different antibiotic he could have instead, which may not cause diarrhoea.

Soozi and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice