UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maisie has a red throat, she gradually went off her food,is going for bloods (booked in) but is needing some teeth out. I am suspecting that one of them is infected and infected her throat but she is going to have a dental either way as she needs it.

I have never had a cat that has had teeth removed so would appreciate any advice and personal info.

I have read that Convenia is usually given, however she didn't do well on it and I have asked for it not to be given again. She hasn't been good on Amoxicillin either so what would be the way to go?

What about afterwards? Tooth cleaning? Feeding?

What do I need to know and ask and be aware of?

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
I had a cat that had to have teeth removed three times, starting from when he was around 6 years of age.

There was no problem with food when he came back and was eating nomally
When I lost him (just this year at 19 years of age) he only had four teeth left, one which was a fang the others at the back.

One problem we did notice, which the vet could not rectify was after having his lower fangs removed the one remaining upper fany used to rub on his lip and look to be sore on occassion.

·
Registered
9,909 Posts
My two have had extensive extractions due to gum issues Maudey has no teeth top or bottom from the fangs back Monty has a few left behind the fangs but not many, I just mashed their food for the first 10 days with warm water to make an appetising soup for them so they could just lap the food up and then I just gradually left the lumps bigger and bigger until they were managing the food as it was, they can't eat larger biscuits but Maudey will happily swallow Dreamies and Whiskas' Hairball Treats and she manages smaller biscuits like Royal Canin Sensible 33 or Iams Hairball.

I give them Logic toothpaste once or twice a day and that seems to help as without it Monty's gums start to get inflamed again and neither will tolerate having their teeth cleaned with a brush, you can also get an additive to add to water Aquadent is the best I believe (Maudey won't drink it and as she has had UTI's in the past I won't mess with her drinking) or you can get Plaque off which you add to their food but again neither will eat it so I stick with the Logic.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.