Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Cystease capsules please.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LostSoul, Mar 1, 2017.

1. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

Does any one have any experience with cystease capsules?

Sorry, what should be a simple question turned into me writing an essay!!

Finn has been ill recently with bladder issues recently,
    i found him squatting next to the litter tray and not going
    so we had an emergency trip to the vets, the barely squeezed his bladder and it emptied but they said ( their words) his little winkie was bruised and swollen he couldn't pass anything they thought he'd been licking it too much but i hadn't seen him doing that....but we put a cone on him just incase.
    He was given antibiotic and pain relief jabs and we had to take him back the next day, he had managed a little wee by then and the next day they said his bladder felt ok, so gave him meloxicam and cephalexin and told me to bring him back in 5 days.
    The next evening we had to take him back to the emergency vet, he was in a lot of pain, sitting in his tray and meowing, they again expressed his bladder but this time they gave him a really strong painkiller and muscle relaxant, ive forgotten what it was called though my hubby remembers them saying it was an opiate or something that sounded similar...in our defense we were tired and flustered.
    they gave him an ultrasound of his bladder and said it didnt show much, it ruled out big crystas, which the vet said would have shown up like stars shining in the sky ( his words) , it also ruled out bladder stones and any thing growing in there...his bladder wall was a little inflamed but his urethra was thickened from end to end and that's why he wasn't passing urine. they hoped that the muscle relaxant would help this and i was given a syringe full of it to squirt under his tongue at 4am ( which wasn't as easy as it sounds) and we had to take him back the next day.

It worked enough that i got a decent sized sample ...they hadn't checked for crystals because he hadn't weed enough and the times they expressed his bladder they never saved any of it,
    so they finally checked and said it was clear, no crystals, the dip test showed the ph was fine but that blood was present even though the urine was clear and also protein and white cells were up slightly but everything else was fine and it wasn't concentrated..
    I was told they don't know what caused the thickening,whether its simply cystitis or something else...they put him on hypovase, which i had to sign a waver on because it isnt licensed for cats but they assured me it was safe, i googled it and one of the things its used for is for spasms of the urethra...
    and they gave him cystease.

so today he had a check up, he's off the antibiotic but has been on hypovase, cystease and meloxicam for a week and has been given the meloxicam and hypovase for another 5 days...but i plan of taking him off the meloxicam.

They told me to give him 2 cystease every day...for the rest of his life...
    i'll finally get to my question which is, does anyone have any experience of this, it's not classed as a medication but as a supplement, i asked if i could gradually wean him off of it and they didn't know, the vet said she hadn't used it herself and to ask the nurse who dispensed it, the nurse said to ask the vet...has anyone used this been able to wean their cat off, i really don't want Finn taking anything he doesn't need and he's only 2 years old, to take them for the rest of his life seems a very long time...i know i can read up online but i'd rather take advice from someone whos used it and knows exactly it works.

He is weeing normally right now but i have no idea if the cystease is responsible or not i do intend to keep him on them for a little while and i was hoping to cut him down to one a day, then one every other day...and eventually stopping unless his symptoms start again....any ideas if this is possible?

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I've just bought some for Mia - more to see if they'll help with reducing her stress than the urinary side of it

TBH I would imagine it's similar to something like zyklene - I had her on this for well over a year and gradually weaned her off it

She was fine with just a bit of RC Calm for nearly a year but started to get very stressy again so she's back on the zyklene

I'd give it for a good long period (probably around a year) and see how it goes before making any decisions - if he's fine on it then what's the issue with giving it long term?

Calvine and LostSoul like this.
  3. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

A stray I took in had a blocked bladder, he was in the vets on a catheter for a few days receiving treatment. He was producing tiny amounts of bloody urine, was on strong painkillers and muscle relaxants. He didn't have crystals, his urethra was inflamed and his bladder was very inflamed and bruised from being so full.

It was my decision to put him on Cystease, twice a day for a couple of weeks. Then I cut down to one and he continued to wee fine, nice big wees and no straining, crying or hopping in and out of the litter tray, Then I took them off him and he has been fine for a couple of years now :)

I feed him only wet food and I do add water too his food occasionally to make sure he is getting enough fluid and producing nice wees, he also has mackerel or sardines once a week since the added omega-3s can be helpful :) Around stressful occasions (fireworks, busy times, new additions or any changes in his routine, workmen, decorating things like that) or if he has a small wee, he goes back on Cystease twice a day for a couple of weeks, then reduced to one and if he continues to do well then I take him off them but I always keep Cystease in, just in case.

moggie14 and LostSoul like this.
  4. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

I'm more than happy to keep him on them for as long as their needed but would prefer not to give them f they're not needed, he's a big boy, 5.8kg so is supposed to have 2 capsules a day, he's fine taking the first but hates the 2nd, i have a fight to get it down him and wont eat food if i sprinkle it on so i am hoping to eventually cut it down to one a day, I just wondered what peoples experiences are on eventually stopping, i like know what the future might hold

5. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

Thats wonderful, thank you, it's exactly what i am hoping to do with Finn, he doesnt mind taking one capsule but hates the 2nd, so im hoping in a few weeks to get him on one a day and although its just a supplement i don't like giving my cats anything they might not need...but i know he'll be on them for a while yet.
    I boil chicken for Finn and he has the water so i know he gets lots of liquid and he's only on wet food.

i'm happy to hear that you managed to wean your boy off of them, i hope he continues to have big wees, it's funny how happy seeing them wee can make us isnt it :D

Shikoku likes this.
  6. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

mmm in that case I would personally need to weigh up the pros / cons as if he's getting really stressed taking them, does that not completely wipe out the gains of taking them?

Mia will take zyklene (and other similar things) sprinkled on her food - I wouldn't be able to do it long term otherwise as I can't pill her :( so there would be no way to get them down

good luck

LostSoul likes this.
  7. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Cystophan is a very similar product and usually well tolerated in food. I wonder if it's worth asking your vet if this provides the same benefits as it might be easier to hide in Finn's food.
    Poor little lad, not a nice thing to go through. I hope you are both holding up OK! xx

LostSoul likes this.
  8. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

we go back on monday so i will ask then, thank you
    xxx

moggie14 likes this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@LostSoul, I am sorry to hear about poor Finn's problems bless him. :( Does the vet know why there is thickening in the uretha? Is it due to chronic inflammation, perhaps cause by chronic low level bacterial infection.

Cystease and Cystophan contain the same ingredients, but Cystophan is flavoured with chicken (I am not sure what Cystease tastes of) so may be easier to get the cat to take in their food.

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Cystophan_...rinkle+capsules+for+cats+»+pack+of+30&sct_r=1

If Finn's having a problem with repeat infections in his bladder I would also give him Waterfall D-Mannose which is great at mopping up any bacteria hanging around in the bladder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-MANNOSE-...=8-1-spons&keywords=waterfall+d+mannose&psc=1

Great you are giving him an all wet food diet. :) (not even any dry treats).

It is a very good idea to increase his fluid intake so his urine is more dilute, the volume is increased and he will therefore empty his bladder more often thus flushing through any 'nasties'. Home made chicken or turkey broth is excellent. Skimmed of the fat (when cold) it can be stored in ice cube trays in the freezer and a couple of cubes defrosted and warmed a couple of times a day.

You could also try him with a little goats milk as a change from broth, but go cautiously as some cats get a loose stool from any kind of milk that contains lactose.

Do you think he is getting stressed by anything in the environment ? (cystitis often being stress related).

Shikoku likes this.
  10. Shikoku

Shikoku PetForums VIP

@chillminx I don't mean to derail the thread so apologies LostSoul but I just wanted to say I always find many of your posts really informative and helpful! I'm always learning something new :)

AmsMam, Lilylass, moggie14 and 2 others like this.
  11. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

Thanks so much @chillminx

The vet wasn't sure what caused the urethra thickening, she did say it could have been a problem on the 'outside' that spread inside and up the urethra, rather than being a bladder problem that spread downwards....so possibly bacteria, that could be one reason his 'winkie' was swollen and bruised but i really haven't been given any answers. They kept saying he was bruised from licking but i hadn't seen him over licking the area.

I have 15 days of cystease but will definitely look into the others, especially if Finn will take them more easily, i see the vet again on Monday so will double check with them first.

Im hoping this is just a one off, nothing has changed here as far as i know but a few days before he got ill we came home and he was very jumpy and didn't want to come out of his hiding place so i don't know what happened, my girls were fine though, maybe they ganged up on him, god knows he chases them enough.
    We're 2 floors up and there has been a new cat outside, theres usually one hanging about, my neighbours feed it even though it has a home near by but recently there has been 2, i didn't think it would be the reason seeing as the cats don't come into our building and my cats don't go outside...but my hubby has just come home and said he thinks the cat outside was spraying against the cars so im guessing even though i can't hear it or smell it that my cats can.

Edit, just found out the new cat is un-neutered but does have an owner in our street, i guess its attracted by the food my neighbour leaves out.

Finn is a good drinker and he likes ot play in the water too, the vet said his urine was nicely diluted, he recently I've been boiling chicken, hes had the chicken and the water, i never thought of freezing it though so ive just done that with this mornings batch of chicken water.
    I've not tried goats milk but thats definitely something i should try, my Cookie loves milk and luckily it doesn't hurt her tummy but finn doesn't like it but he used to have kitten milk which i believe was goats milk. He also suffers badly with constipation so if it does effect his tummy a little of that might not be a bad thing.

#11 LostSoul, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  12. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear that darling Finn is having problems.
    I am a HUGE fan of D Mannose and would definitely try him on that as @chillminx recommends. It is a very fine powder which dissolves easily into food and none of mine have refused to take it.
    Would Finn like a blob of Primula? Mine go crazy for it and maybe you could mash his cystease into that as a 'treat' ?

LostSoul likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Shikoku - many thanks for your kind words. Much appreciated. :)

p.s. I enjoy your posts too. :)

14. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I used to give my cat Cystaid as she had recurrent uti's due to being a stress bag, but it worked well and stopped her suffering from them, she only had to have one a day as a maintenance dose and upped to two if she showed signs of a uti or if she got stressed or something stressful was coming up, these were also sprinkle capsules but she never ever refused to eat her food and she can be a pernickety fuss bag at the best of times, but I have stopped giving them to after 2 years purely because she is not as stressed as she was and fingers crossed she has been fine since, I not sure if you can still get the plain ordinary Cystaid now but I think it's Cystaid Plus as it has a stress reliving effect as well as helping the bladder.

LostSoul likes this.
  15. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

Finn normally eats everything whether it's edible or not but he refused everything i tried with the cystease sprinkled in, i haven't heard of D mannose but am reading up on it now.

16. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

My dog is prone to Uti's & needed ABs every couple of months

I had her on d-mannose & cranberry tablets for a few months &, touch wood, no more Uti's :)

Stopped the d-mannose about a month ago (want to have it as a fall back) & continuing with the cranberry : touch wood, all still ok :)

Def worth giving the d-mannose a try :)

LostSoul likes this.
  17. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Just a heads up, but if you're needing to give bladder capsules long term then the VetUK ones are best value for money. They contain all the key ingredients (branded ones tend to include some but not all), and are way cheaper long term. Flicka started off on branded ones (there was one brand she wouldn't touch no matter what it was hidden in), but I moved her over to these.
    http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-suppleme...-bladder-supplement-sprinkle-capsules-p-20409

18. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

During 2009/2010 I had a terribly time with my girl, she'd start weeing more and without any warning would start squatting every couple of minutes and making herself pass clots of blood - I think we had 6/7 bouts of this sometimes taking a month to treat. If you go back to my posts during that time you'll probably pick up I was pretty stressed.

The vet would give me cystease when she had a bout of cystitis (as well as other treatment), but after doing research I found many who regularly used it and as it was one thing I could buy and have immediately available to administer before seeing the vet, I got some. As time moved on I kept my girl on it, twice a day without fail until about 18 months ago when I picked up the courage to drop to one capsule a day. Sometimes I forget to give her one. At no time does she appear to have had withdrawal symptons. the only health problem she's had since is that she now has hyperthyroidism which is very common in older cats (she's 17). Cystease may not be needed any more, but as she was so bad and it took so long to treat, I'm not going to risk taking her off it. I haven't been able to get hold of cystease recently, so have bought other brands with the same main ingredient in and they have all worked.

19. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I forgot to say, my vet is aware I've kept her on them and says there's no healthy implications for keeping her on them if I really want to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice