Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Advice on Contacting a Breeder?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by R J, Jan 30, 2021.

1. R J

R J PetForums Newbie

So, I'm looking to adopt a Golden Retriever puppy from one of three local breeders that I've researched. I'm having trouble putting together the initial email, mainly because I plan on taking the dog across the US with me on adventures in my renovated campervan Ford Transit when the dog is about 1.5 years old. I want to be fully transparent with my breeder and I don't want to try to hide this fact from them. I know that van life may not be typical and a turn off for breeders, as it probably will cause concerns of the dog's daily exercise, overheating/freezing, vet visits, grooming, etc. all of which I have researched and have answers/accommodations for. I want to let the breeder know and realize that I am fully knowledgable about these concerns and am prepared to accommodate for them, but I don't want to go the email to be overwhelmingly long.

Any advice on how I should go about this email? Thank you much!

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi and welcome :) I’d just start off asking them about their dogs and health tests etc, if they get back to you then I’d get more into your situation with them.

R J likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I don’t think it’s necessary to share your possible future plans as they’re so far off and anyone’s life can go off in a different direction - planned or not.

Might not even happen.

You’re planning on keeping the dog with you and meeting all it’s needs, which is more important.

What about considering a slightly older rescue dog too?

LinznMilly likes this.
  4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I agree. When I got my first pup I knew I would one day be taking her with me to another country, but didn't feel the need to discuss this with the breeder.

LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We travelled for my husband's work, towing our home behind us, rarely in the same place for more than a week or two at the most. It never crossed my mind to tell the breeder of either of my dogs. In fact one was on breeding terms so she had her pups while we were travelling. Not literally, we went back to my mothers for the whelping. I took the pups to the breeder when they were ready to go and I do not remember telling her they had been reared in a caravan. Where we went the dogs went and they were very happy with their lifestyle.

LinznMilly likes this.
  6. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

When we bought Isla the breeder asked if we were working or retired and this led onto us telling them that we have our static caravan and a motorhome and from about March to early November we use both a lot. They then told us how one of their puppies from a previous litter went to a couple that travel a lot, more then us it seems, and they often had pictures sent showing the dog at somewhere different in the world with a wonderful view behind him.
    I guess some breeders are going to accept this lifestyle more happily then others, but my thoughts are that the dog will be with the owner most of its time and not being routinely alone all day with only a dog walker to break up the day,

LinznMilly likes this.
  7. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Sounds like a fantastic life for a dog, but I agree with others - it wouldn't cross my mind to tell a breeder about future plans that may or may not happen. It's not like you plan to emigrate and hand the dog in to rescue.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice