Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

advice on cleaning sores

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by paddyjulie, Jun 8, 2010.

1. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Came home form work and Mavis has been at her tummy big time...this is where her skin flares up due to her allergies.....whats the best thing to clean it with ? it looks very very sore and is red raw....also anyone know if i can put fuciderm on it when its this sore....if its no better in the morning she will have to go to the vets..but i do i fear they will give her steroids..at the moment i do not want to go down that route with her..
    i will pop her a piriton now..

juliex

2. cornflower

cornflower PetForums Member

i did hear that aloe vera was good but others with more expertise will be able to help more.

3. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

When one of my dogs had sores on his neck,we were advised by the vet to wash with hibiscrub twice a day,maybe ask your vet if you can use this?

4. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

My vet gave me a bottle of Hibiscrub to wash Ben feet with after walks as this time of year grass affects his feet and he chews them all the time seemed to work a treat:D

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Good tip though,try and find a farmers merchants/horse feed shop,you can buy the equivilant,cheaper!;)

6. ploddingon

ploddingon PetForums Senior

My previous dog used to do this too, and the best thing I found for soothing it all down was Sudicreme. You can get it from pharmacies, supermarkets etc so there shouldn't be a problem getting hold of some.

I used to smear it on before I was giving him his dinner so it had a chance to sink in a bit before he had a lick, and then just try and keep himr distracted - take for a walk etc for a while.

Different things suit different dogs, and I found that Hibiscrub used to aggravate my dogs feet, while other people find it helps soothe things. The other thing to consider is that you may be able to increase the dose of Piriton she is on. I went from one three times a day to double that amount when things had a flare up, so it might be worth considering that.

Hope that helps, and it soon settles down a bit

#6 ploddingon, Jun 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice